Plasticitus minimus

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
I have caught the mutated form of the UAS virus known as Plasticitus minimus (probably from Ukisociety :mad:) Here's what results: 2 Carnival Sopraninos from eBay which were 2 for $10.00 plus $8.00 shipping so 9 bucks each. Both in very decent shape except for missing tuning pegs. Was going to install new friction pegs but upon receiving the 'ukuleles in mail today I discovered the headstock is hollow and I'm guessing the friction pegs tightened enough to prevent slipping would crush the headstock. So I have violin pegs on order instead, can't play it until I get them. I was thinking that so many times I go out on my canoe to fish it starts raining so the few metal parts, and laminate top on my Flea does not make it an ideal canoe 'ukulele but this solid plastic non-metal parts Carnival 'ukulele should fit the bill. I shall post more pictures when I get them working. :D

My son has one just like those. Probably no big deal that the pegs didn't come with it, because the pegs on Colin's uke were so worn that the string holes were above the nut line. So the strings never stay in the nut grooves.

Your idea with the violin pegs sound reasonable. I lucked out with one of my little Carnivals that I found a 1970's plastic "guitar" that had pegs that fit the Carnival exactly. Shear luck, there.

I hope it all works and that you enjoy hours of aquatic/plastic fun!

..and sorry about the illness. Next time, let's just shake hands.:p

I saw that auction! Glad to see it was you who got them....

Sure glad my UAS has not mutated. ;) I really like the purple backs. :cool: It's a shame flukes and fleas don't have some colored back options. Good luck with the tuners.
Regards,
Ray

Very nice acquisitions! Lurve the poiple!

is it wrong that Ive wanted a plastic ukulele to take in the bath with me for ages.

Just got my first one last week, a "Lisa." Already used it in a vid.

I wish someone would manufacture a waterproof plastic uke as durable as my kids' cell phones. You know how they're always dropping them and tossing them around and they survive the abuse. Plastics have come a long way in the past 50 years. I suspect that if you drop the '50s plastic ukes, they'd shatter.

just wondering, the violin pegs are from a hard wood, too, aren't they? maybe they increase size when they get wet and break the headstock?:confused:

but lots of fun!

Last edited:
Hereis a question that i'm sure has been asked before...

Carnival Soprano (not sopranito) What strings?

Mine has the original red strings and they are frayed something aweful... wantto replace em, but don't wantto hurt this thing that is older than me...

thanks

JT

Hereis a question that i'm sure has been asked before...

Carnival Soprano (not sopranito) What strings?

Mine has the original red strings and they are frayed something aweful... wantto replace em, but don't wantto hurt this thing that is older than me...

thanks

JT

Martin Flourocarbons sound great on plastics.

Martin Flourocarbons sound great on plastics.

Thank you.

Hey, you get your official "King of Plastics" crown yet?

plastics.jpg

Oh man, why are those things so cheap in the US, while stores here in Tokyo charge hundreds of dollars (OK, tens of thousands of yens, but you get the point) for them?

There was a baritone Carnival(?) in a store here for 67000 yen. I broke a cold sweat imagining that I would trip and step my big clumpy foot right into that piece of thin and age-worn plastic.

Oh man, why are those things so cheap in the US, while stores here in Tokyo charge hundreds of dollars (OK, tens of thousands of yens, but you get the point) for them?

There was a baritone Carnival(?) in a store here for 67000 yen. I broke a cold sweat imagining that I would trip and step my big clumpy foot right into that piece of thin and age-worn plastic.

They made baritone TV Pals and Islanders, too. They go for $200+ on Ebay. I wonder how much those new Japanese plastics cost...?

ARGH, Look what I got today... :rolleyes:
Made by Ohio Arts in 1982. Is there any hope for me? :confused:
436.jpg

I'm so curious about these. I've seen a few on Ebay before, but the action looked super-high. This one looks in pretty good shape. Please keep us posted on how it plays!

Top Bottom