Post the song that motivated you for playing!

KaPowaFie

Reaction score

This song right here meant a lot to me ever since I first heard it and ever since it was the entire reason I wanted to play ukelele in the first place. Just so soothing and peaceful, what are your guys songs that influenced you to start learning how to play?

I bought a Banjolele to play "Does your chewing gum..." and "Windowcleaner"

A ukulele to play "mele kalikimaka"

And now that I can play it, I really need to keep digging into slack key, I just haven't had the motivation between teaching and my 1 year old son actively going through a sleep regression.

Not the first ukulele song I heard, nor the first I tried to play, but this one grabbed me early on and really fired my interest. Still a favourite.

This was the performance that convinced me to take up the ukulele. After I saw how expensive Baroque guitars were!

This was my first exposure to Gaspar Sanz. Once I saw that his music worked well on the ukulele, I decided to play the ukulele.

I started playing tenor uke in mid 2013 when I was 63 after playing rhythm guitar for almost 50 years. I attended a Los Angeles Music Center Summer Ukulele Play Along series, three 6 hour Saturday seminars (I attended before on guitar). After the first day, I got online and discovered Jake, plus I knew Iz's version of Over the Rainbow from the movies Finding Forrester and 50 First Dates. After the second seminar, I joined Cali Rose & The CC Strummers uke group of 35 people.

My sister-in-law (my identical twin brother's wife) loved Iz's version, so I decided to learn it. The first thing I did was use the correct lyrics (Iz recorded it in the middle of the night on a whim, but muffed the lyrics). I couldn't get the strum pattern Iz used and finally put it aside. A few weeks later, after playing various songs with the group, I gave Rainbow a try and to my surprise, I had it.

Last edited:
When I was a young banjo picker, this guy would post videos on the Banjo Hangout playing the uke. It sounded amazing and looked like a lot of fun, so I saved up and got me a uke and never looked back.

Well - it's a piece I've been working on for about 2 years....getting there. He's the master. Daniel Ho - Amis Rondo

Top Bottom