Rosette Circle Cutter

Timbuck

Reaction score
Pete Howlet drew my attention to the LMI rosette circle cutting thingie It can be seen here http://www.lmii.com/carttwo/thirdproducts.asp?NameProdHeader=Rosette/Circle+Cutter
He asked me if I could make one co's he was skint and he couldn't afford the cost of one from LMI...Anyway I had a look at a few pic's of it on the web and then I had a go at making one..the first thing I noticed was this was intended for guitars cos the smallest circle it can cut is 2 3/8" dia and the largest is 8" dia......So I decided to make mine more ukulele size..and here it is... it can cut circles from 1 3/4" dia up to a max of 5" dia and it seems to work very well...It was very chewy to make co's my eysight is getting worse these days.. so please don't ask me to make another one :eek:ld:
PICT0008-8.jpg

UNDERSIDE VIEW
PICT0018-4.jpg

CLOSE UP OF CUTTING BIT
PICT0029-3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, you temp us then say NO! all in the same post. I love it and I wont ask but would if I could, I love it.

You mean you only made one!! :(

Looks good, and if it works half as well as the nut gauge, it'll be brilliant!

Get your son to program it for CNC milling. It would actually be a pretty easy thing to make that way. You could do the main body in one operation, the slide/blade holder in two plus drilling and tapping. Sell it to StewMac or direct on the Internet.

Get your son to program it for CNC milling. It would actually be a pretty easy thing to make that way. You could do the main body in one operation, the slide/blade holder in two plus drilling and tapping. Sell it to StewMac or direct on the Internet.
Oh! I agree with you Rick ...This is one for the CNC boys..But! My Son is snowed under with work at the moment he just recieved an order from a Drum manufacturing company to make supply and fit his electronic trigger devices to 300 X 5 piece drum kits, so I can't ask him at the moment..It's not my design anyway ..I just scaled it down a bit..And I have retired nowadays and I only do this stuff to fill the time when I feel like it..I have made some drawings/sketches tho' if anyone is inerested...this is the slider bit with a slight mod added.
PICT0031-2.jpg

Last edited:
Anyway..all is not lost..My son says he'll have a go at programing it for CNC when he gets a bit of spare time..and he has a spare machine for me to make e'm on...so maybe later this year.??

$80 is a good price! Problem is it's designed for guitars and by the time I've landed it here in the UK it costs $120 which is far too much. Ken has been a long standing 'tool-maker' for me, machining parts that I can't do in exchange for wood whci I have a lot of... The work is always spot on and if you ever quit Ken, I don't know what I will do to get my ideas realised. To date I have pillars for my jointer made, mushrooms for my router, string divider, shaft for my dead-head sander, this and my 10/20 in for repair. The only sadness is we live 200 miles apart, have never met and rarely get to sdee each others ukulele :(

Top Bottom