SOLD: Testing the waters with my Pono Taropatch ATD8 8-string

mark10

Reaction score
I got this one used but I'm not sure if I got a deal or not but I'm interested to see what I might get for it.

I am also interested in trades.

This is a lovely instrument, very clean. There are a few of the slightest scratches in the clearcoat but I don't think you'll ever notice it. You need to have exactly the right lighting to even see them. This is in probably the best condition of any of my used instruments and I've got a lot of them.

My favorite parts of this instrument are the bookmatched front and the centered stripes down the fretboard. The grain of this koa is huge and it rings like a bell. Gloss isn't standard on Ponos. Pono is such a remarkable brand and I love that they retain unique features compared to their Ko'olau counterparts.

For now I will list it for $500 shipping included and soft case, unless a hard case sweetens the pot. Let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

• A7_03967-2.jpg
    A7_03967-2.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 60
  • A7_04004-2.jpg
    A7_04004-2.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 59
There's one on eBay that closes in just under 2 hours that should give you a good indicator of the going rate. It's at $325 right now but is likely to jump at the closing bell. I don't think it's as pretty as yours. Does your have electronics?

By the way your Ko'olau concert seems to have a deep body. Is it true or a photo distortion? I also have the same Mango Ko'olau tenor as well, unless it sells soon. It's up for sale here!

I saw that one. I actually sent him a message because for the first days of the auction it was only listed as "Local Pickup" in Texas and he changed it.

There's just a few hours left and I see the price jumped from the last time I checked, so that should give me a good idea.

I do like the grain in this one, the pattern of the bookmatch. It's not easy to let go of any of these, honestly.

The ko'olau is a tenor and it does have a deep body. Slightly less deep, by millimeters, than the Pono Bamboo

I saw that one. I actually sent him a message because for the first days of the auction it was only listed as "Local Pickup" in Texas and he changed it.

There's just a few hours left and I see the price jumped from the last time I checked, so that should give me a good idea.

I do like the grain in this one, the pattern of the bookmatch. It's not easy to let go of any of these, honestly.

The ko'olau is a tenor and it does have a deep body. Slightly less deep, by millimeters, than the Pono Bamboo
The Ko'olau on the left is the same size as the Mango in the middle? Must be wide angle pic. Your 8-string isn't A/E by any chance?

All three are tenors. From left to right, Pono Bamboo Tenor, Ko'olau Ash Tenor, and the Pono ATD8 (the one for sale/trade) :)

Yes, it is octaves. The effect is very similar to the difference between 6 and 12 string guitars -- ethereal sound and you feel like a minstrel or a bard in olden times

Top Bottom