String splitting

KaminTheWeaver

Reaction score
Does anyone know how or why this happens to certain strings? This is a brand new set. I’ve tried pulling on them before and it only tears the string in two.

IMG_3819.jpeg

That kinda looks like lint or fuzz to me...
It does kind of look like yarn from a sweater sleeve. If the OP is sure this is plastic shedding from the strings, then the strings are probably defective. This happens from time to time. You can try asking the retailer or the manufacturer for a refund.

I think this fairly common with fluorocarbon strings and normal wear. That's why many sets come at double length so you can easily replace.

I think this fairly common with fluorocarbon strings and normal wear. That's why many sets come at double length so you can easily replace.
They said the strings are brand new. I could believe "normal wear" if the strings were way past Aldrine's recommendation of replacing your strings every 2 months.

Recent thread with the same problem

They said the strings are brand new. I could believe "normal wear" if the strings were way past Aldrine's recommendation of replacing your strings every 2 months.
2 months??!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?

I've used the same sets on mine for two years.

Actually three by now. I was 31 when I discovered ukes. I just turned 34.

Actually three by now. I was 31 when I discovered ukes. I just turned 34.
Try installing new strings. Report back to us on how much better your ukulele sounds with new strings.

It would help to know which brand, and set, you are experiencing this with.
I had this happen once with a set of Martin fluorocarbons that I bought from a local store. I showed the ukulele to the store clerk and he said it happens from time to time and gave me a new set of strings. Pretty obvious that the problem is a defective string when the damage occurs all along a newly installed string instead of just one point where there is a sharp edge on your instrument.

A friend of mine had the same problem happen with some Seaguar Blue fishing line that her pro luthier had installed after doing some work on her ukulele. She took it back and he said that he was having the same problem with with the the Seaguar Blue that he had installed on some custom instruments that he had built and he switched all his new instruments to Seaguar Red to fix the problem. He switched hers to Seaguar Red as well and that fixed the problem.

As far as I know, all fluorocarbon ukulele strings are repurposed from fishing line factories and the factory quality control doesn't test for musical instrument use.

It would help to know which brand, and set, you are experiencing this with.

I wanted to avoid trashing a brand, but after the feedback and link to the separate thread, the strings in the a picture are Martin M620s. I wanted to try them to see the difference between them and Worth Clears. I like the sound, but this is the second set I’ve seen with the fraying issue. It’s a shame!

I wanted to avoid trashing a brand, but after the feedback and link to the separate thread, the strings in the a picture are Martin M620s. I wanted to try them to see the difference between them and Worth Clears. I like the sound, but this is the second set I’ve seen with the fraying issue. It’s a shame!
Martin is one of the biggest brands of ukulele and guitar strings, so some number of problem reports on the Internet is not unusual. Unless this is happening repeatedly to strings that you are personally buying, I wouldn't worry about it.

I had the same problem with the Martin's Concert fluorocarbon string. I also noticed that the problems shown above are all on the E string as was mine. Hmmm

Martin is one of the biggest brands of ukulele and guitar strings, so some number of problem reports on the Internet is not unusual. Unless this is happening repeatedly to strings that you are personally buying, I wouldn't worry about it.

Interestingly enough, I replaced the Martins that were in the uke when I bought it with another set of Martins. Now with both sets, the E string frays immediately. It’s a shame because I love the sound and feel!

I had this happen with the A in a set of Martin M600 & viewed never to buy an other set.
Thanks to the kindness of a UUF friend, I’ve changed my opinion. I currently have a set of Martin graphites that have lasted at least 9 months with zero problems & I love the tone.

Same issue for me! Trying a fresh set of the Martins soon.

1714959160070.jpeg

Hi Kamin

Surface fraying is cosmetic and is such a tiny percentage that it doesn’t affect tone and longevity.

It happens when the string maker uses dual density fluorocarbon fishing leader that has a soft outer layer and a hard core. (Single density is also available from fluorocarbon factories)

The softer outer layer is designed for tighter fishing knots and to protect the harder core from seabed abrasion.

SeaGuar Blue Label is a market favourite:

Cheers

Hi Kamin

Surface fraying is cosmetic and is such a tiny percentage that it doesn’t affect tone and longevity.

It happens when the string maker uses dual density fluorocarbon fishing leader that has a soft outer layer and a hard core. (Single density is also available from fluorocarbon factories)

The softer outer layer is designed for tighter fishing knots and to protect the harder core from seabed abrasion.

SeaGuar Blue Label is a market favourite:

Cheers
Why does this problem seemingly only occur on the E string?

Top Bottom