Suggestions, please, for no button uke straps?

What are those drill bits called with the little point?
I believe it is called a punch. I have one but didn't use it when I drilled my holes because it seemed too violent. What I did instead was use several layers of tape. I used electrical tape because I didn't have the recommended blue tape or masking tape. The tape makes a mushy surface that you can then use to position the drill bit so that it goes into the end block without slipping and marring the finish of the uke. I'm not a wood working genius by any stretch of the imagination but I was able to do it. The bigger problem is drilling into the side of the heel for the upper strap button. It is difficult because the surface is curved and that just makes things more difficult. I have found the issue is where to drill. If you make your hole too near the body, then you cannot get the strap around the button. However, the same methodology applies: lay down many layers of tape, then drill into the tape in the optimal place at the optimal angle. It is a little stressful, but quite achievable even for a doofus such as me.

I use a small gimlet as a hole starter when drilling for strap buttons. It prevents the drill bit from skittering across the uke's surface and gives it a good pilot hole. (Also handy for situations when you don't necessarily need to get a drill out.)

Gimlets_alt_01_37J0304__38344.jpg

Not a strap, but grip strips from Magic Fluke offer good support when playing my concert Flea.

You can just skip the straps all together. Its not hard at all to hold on to a uke and play it.
Some love straps or think they have to have them. I am in the other camp. No thank you. Try without first , you can always add them.
Yes - try a leash as the next step rather than install buttons.

You say you are a beginner and awaiting arrival of the uke - try just holding the uke and playing it without any aids first. You may not need a strap at all.

The only thing you HAVE to have on the uke are its strings. ;)

You can just skip the straps all together. Its not hard at all to hold on to a uke and play it.
Some love straps or think they have to have them. I am in the other camp. No thank you. Try without first , you can always add them.
Yes - try a leash as the next step rather than install buttons.

You say you are a beginner and awaiting arrival of the uke - try just holding the uke and playing it without any aids first. You may not need a strap at all.

The only thing you HAVE to have on the uke are its strings. ;)
I don't need a strap most of the time, especially when playing casually or just acoustically.

However, in the occasional times I have to play "on stage" plugged into amplifiers with other band members and equipment everywhere, it helps to have the extra security of straps :)

That being said, some prolific ukulele players seem to manage without a strap even on stage.
I think Jake Shimabukuro doesn't use one either.
Edit: It turns out he does (Uke Leash?)

I believe it is called a punch. I have one but didn't use it when I drilled my holes because it seemed too violent. What I did instead was use several layers of tape. I used electrical tape because I didn't have the recommended blue tape or masking tape. The tape makes a mushy surface that you can then use to position the drill bit so that it goes into the end block without slipping and marring the finish of the uke. I'm not a wood working genius by any stretch of the imagination but I was able to do it. The bigger problem is drilling into the side of the heel for the upper strap button. It is difficult because the surface is curved and that just makes things more difficult. I have found the issue is where to drill. If you make your hole too near the body, then you cannot get the strap around the button. However, the same methodology applies: lay down many layers of tape, then drill into the tape in the optimal place at the optimal angle. It is a little stressful, but quite achievable even for a doofus such as me.
It didn't occur to me to use a punch.
I've found that masking tape tends to enable you to create a small dimple for the pilot hole.
Since the drillbit for the pilot hole is pretty needle like anyway, seems to hold itself in place when starting.

Jake uses his custom soundhole strap. Available on his website for about $80.

I use a thing called the Mobius Strap that wraps around the waist of my tenor, which doesn't have strap buttons. I've tried a couple different types of button-less straps and this one has been the best for me. I'm not afraid of strap buttons, and I have installed them on a couple guitars in the past, but this works well enough that I decided not to bother adding one to my uke.

Top Bottom