the 2-step chord change

Well, DUD1, that's the way lots of peeps hold their Ukes, but, if one clamps too firmly, it may deaden or muffle his/her Uke. Right arm movement might be compromised too.

Everyone knows that hangin' loose is better! :eek:ld:
I have been developing R shoulder pain from playing the uke unsupported by clamping the body, another reason to use a strap.

I have been developing R shoulder pain from playing the uke unsupported by clamping the body, another reason to use a strap.

I was just trying to make the OP feel good about his decision to go strapless. Personally I have straps on everything I play including my two long neck sopranos

I use a two step method when teaching chords, but not when performing or playing. I use the idea of a "leading finger" or an "anchor finger". For example, if I am going from F to G7, then the index finger is the anchor, so you concentrate on that finger staying in place while the other fingers move.

If I am going from D to G7, then I teach to let the index finger lead first, get it set and then place the other fingers. After doing this several times, it should become a smoother transition until it all happens together.

I don't use it as a way of playing, but as starting a transition between chords that seem difficult to the player. It should always smooth out and be instantaneous after practicing it - one fluid motion.

I have found that I can play without a strap, but I play much better with a strap. When I'm lounging on the sofa and not wanting to use a strap, I am doing all kinds of tricks to get from chord to chord without the instrument dancing in the balance, but it is easier and smoother to play with a strap.

Top Bottom