The search for the absolute sound.

mlolya

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk lately about wound strings and whether to use wound on only G or on G and C and what strings to use.
All of this, of course, is an attempt to find a sound that each of us feels is ‘The Sound’ that we are looking for and of course that sound is very different for every individual.
The idea of low G and wound and unwound low G is something some of us are not in the least interested in. People like Jake and Tim (our Tim) are dedicated to the tradition of high G and for some even straight nylon. That of course is where it all started (well gut actually) but for others, myself included, (a frustrated guitar player, just too many strings on that thing) we enjoy some non-traditional sounds as well.
For many the search is for an instrument that doesn’t necessarily sound like a traditional ukulele. So, low G and then wound low G and then wound C. Each change brought about a different sound which for some created a deeper richer more guitar like sound with more sustain and warmer tones.
I started with unwound low G using a variety of different factory made sets. Then moved on to replacing the G string with a Fremont Soloist.
One of the problems that some of us have noted with this combination is that the deep booming wound low G overpowered the other strings.
I found this to be true on several attempts.
I tried different unwound strings in combination with the Soloist and although some were better than others I never really felt that the strings sounded like they were meant to work together.
So, how to decrease the overpowering wound G?
Well, how about a wound C?
Ok, which one. A lot of people have tried a wound guitar string, particularly the Thomastik-Infeld chrome steel flat wound. .027.
I put one on along with the Soloist and now had strings from three different companies on one ukulele. Nothing really wrong with that but…
I decided to use a Thomastik for the G as well. The same string in .030. This also has been done by lots of people and recommended often.
This did decrease the overwhelming boom of the wound G by creating a ‘lesser’ boom on the C which gave it a more balanced overall sound.
However the E and A were still a little ‘off’ when compared to the wound strings, not the same depth or warmth or resonance.
I noticed this on my Oli with its Ko'olau Aho Fluorocarbons. It sounded very nice, deeper and richer than with the single wound G that it came with and I was really reaching when I wanted to somehow make it even more balanced, but being the tinkerer that I am the search went on.
I put the two Thomastiks on my Kelali walnut tenor and tried a couple of different E and A strings until I finally hit upon a combination of those two wound strings with a pair of Pepe Romero smoke grey Lavas.
To me, it sounds like these strings belong together and there is no overpowering of the higher strings at all, they all play well together and sound like they complement each other.
Is this the ‘absolute sound’? Certainly not for everyone, maybe not for me either. It sounds lovely on this instrument. Will it sound as good on the Oli. I don’t now yet, I’ve run out of Lavas. But we’ll see.
Is all of this necessary? Of course not. These instruments sound just fine with almost any strings, but it’s fun to experiment.
At least it is for me and perhaps it distracts me from the dreaded UAS for a little while.

I love tinkering with sound, and uke strings are a really inexpensive way to play. I’m very much not seeking guitar sound, but not really classical Hawaiian ukulele sound, either. For me I think of it as finding the voice of my instrument. I can lean that some in the direction of my preferences, but most instruments come with clear opinions, in my experience! Then again, I seek instruments with opinions. Some of you might have ones that are meek and well-behaved.

And while you were typing out that long and thoughtful paragraph, I was improvising on the melodic minor scale. Maybe my ukulele sounds a bit different than a spruce uke (like when someone nudges a lever on an EQ up or down). But I was making melodies. So yes it is fine to ponder imponderables but don't forget to make music.

First, I find a good-sounding low-4th string. That depends on the specific instrument and takes some experimenting. Then, I listen to the other strings to determine which ones work well with the new 4th. It's likely that one, or more, will stand out; meaning they are too tight, too loose, too loud, too weak, too bright, too dull, or just don't sound right. If I'm lucky (hah-hah) they are just right :)

Like @modwitch, I revel in finding the "absolute sound."

[A shop I visited in the late 1970s near Framingham, MA. High-end stereo speakers, amps, turntables, and such.]

Attachments

• Natural Sound - Dr. Decibel.JPG
    Natural Sound - Dr. Decibel.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I tried different unwound strings in combination with the Soloist and although some were better than others I never really felt that the strings sounded like they were meant to work together.
That is a notable statement. Switching to linear tuning is a very frequent question from the novice uke players, and my advice is usually not to just change the G string but get a whole set that is designed for low G to avoid the potential issue of poor balance where the low G just does not fit in. So once you have a good low G set then it's time to try different flavours of low G as the wound low Gs inevitably will wear out much faster than the rest of the set.

The other consideration is the uke itself. I find that the best chance for pleasant low G is with a deep bodied tenor size that provides good resonance for the lower strings. With smaller bodies and shorter scales there is a higher chance that the low G will not fit in as well.

Quaran-tone-ing is fun, and well-mated instrument and string set is gratifying. Just make sure you also dedicate practice time each day to tone production.

Synthetic and gut strings can produce a broad timbral array — explore those possibilities, and your expressive authority on the ‘ukulele will expand.

Who knows, you might even find a that you can achieve your preferred sounds a variety of strings on a given instrument (though the amount of work required might vary).

Last edited:
Yes of course. Playing is far more important than changing strings and looking for some fleeting Mystical sound.
I play four or five hours a day and love every minute of it. It’s what all that other stuff is for, the playing.
Though sometimes when I’m resting between playing I like to mess around with strings. :)

Top Bottom