Uke for Car

Ukulele for car

that is a pretty good swap

I had thought the same thing!

My Makala dolphin stays in the car a lot - recently snapped a string, perhaps because of the cold? Might be a problem....

A cigar box uke should work since it's not as thin a wood body as a regular uke.

What kind of car?

I've got an '02 MB E430 that's been sitting in front of my house for a couple of years. 60,000 miles. I've probably driven it 1,000 miles in those two years. Love my hybrid. I could trade it for Moore Bettah!

Be Careful. I left my fluke in the car (under a shade tree) about an hour during the Summer (mid 80 degrees) and the plastic fretboard came unglued. Flea Market Music said they would fix it at no charge if I sent it to them. That's what I did, but I took the opportunity to upgrade to a Rosewood fretboard.

What do you guys think about using a Lanikai Pineapple as a "car uke"?? I've had it for a while and I don't play it much anymore. Do you think temperature swings would mess it up at all? It has geared tuners. I want to buy a Dolphin but if I can get away with using the Lanikai then there's no point :D

It was my first uke though that my brother got for me 2 years ago, so I dont want it to get destroyed (but I want it to do more than sit in a case and not get used). :anyone:

What do you guys think about using a Lanikai Pineapple as a "car uke"?? I've had it for a while and I don't play it much anymore. Do you think temperature swings would mess it up at all? It has geared tuners. I want to buy a Dolphin but if I can get away with using the Lanikai then there's no point :D

It was my first uke though that my brother got for me 2 years ago, so I dont want it to get destroyed (but I want it to do more than sit in a case and not get used). :anyone:

It should hold up in the winter, but I'd be wary of summer heat in a closed up car, at least to my mind.

I've had a 1950s German-made Hilo solid mahog lying on the floorboard in my car for three years. It only cost me $15, so no worries, but fwiw, it's suffered no damage, either. All I do is make sure it stays out of direct summer sun.

I don't leave mine in the car, but I do bring one along when picking up the kids from whatever it is they're doing. The uke fits between me and the steering wheel without having to adjust the seat. Folks walking by usually look around trying to figure out where that sound is coming from. If I time it right, I'll get in 20 minutes of playing time + 10 minutes of nap time before the girls show up.

My car uke is a concert Vineyard, about $40. If you have something with a case, it takes up too much room and is probably too nice to risk having to implement your BigGulp Disaster Preparedness Plan.:eek:

I've had my Mahalo laminate pineapple (reasonable fact simile of your Lanikai) in my truck for going on 6 months without a problem though I do keep it in a padded gig bag, and I don't live in "Satan's A**hole", Arizona where I'm guessing is less humid and more extremes in temps than here in the islands. I was using my Fluke in the truck but realized that though a better truck 'ukulele the Fluke costs about 4 times more than my Mahalo to replace so I keep the Fluke at my bedside now, and my Mahalo pineapple serves truck duty. If you need an excuse to buy a Dolphin nobody here will stop you (enabler's club) but I personally think your Lanikai pineapple would serve well and get some much needed attention (we don't want to neglect any of our 'ukuleles). :D

Top Bottom