Ukes for Schools...

PaulLiverpool

Reaction score
Hello all, I work in a primary school in Liverpool, UK, and have been given permission by my head teacher to start a Uke band.

I already play to a fairish standard myself, after inheriting my Grandad's Whirle Banjolele (pic below not actual one but same model found on t'internet).

The problem, as always, is money. I have spoken to a few friends who work in music shops, and they say that there is very little point buying a uke for less than £20.

I have found stuff like this : http://www.djmmusic.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=UKE12%2DNT
http://www.djmmusic.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=VUK15N
http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/Product/570/Ashton-100NG-Orange-Soprano-Ukulele-Perfect-for-Beginners-colour-matched-bag!

I am however a little wary of them - I don't want to buy 15 planks that don't stay in tune!

Any advice on a decent entry level that stays in tune would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Same model as my uke:
IMG_7143.jpg

Attachments

• $(KGrHqR,!l!FBKQZs79tBQgCvLzuKw~~60_35.JPG
    $(KGrHqR,!l!FBKQZs79tBQgCvLzuKw~~60_35.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 4
With your setup can see how price is a factor. But bought from a good dealer with some setup it can be possible to get something that works. I'd suggest Makala Dolphins- they are about £29 though. But, plastic backs (ie tough) and lots of bright colours

Yeah, be careful what you buy. I'm a supply teacher and have been in a few schools where the ukes sit dusty and abandoned because the school bought cheap pieces of crap that won't stay in tune. It's better to buy nothing than to waste money on garbage.

With your setup can see how price is a factor. But bought from a good dealer with some setup it can be possible to get something that works. I'd suggest Makala Dolphins- they are about £29 though. But, plastic backs (ie tough) and lots of bright colours

I agree, and if you check out bazmaz's blog (it's in his signature) he gives a thorough and informative review. I bought a Makala Dolphin a little over a year ago, largely influenced by this review, and I think it's a good starter 'uke if the budget is that tight. Plus it's adorable. Perhaps you can find a vendor who will give you a discount for bing in quantity? Only thing I would add to is comment is to see if you can get them set up well, by the vendor or by someone in the community who knows how to do that and would like to volunteer their time, and also plan to upgrade the strings. I played with the strings that came on my Dolphin for a month or so until I worked up the nerve to change them, but they are not good quality and they don't hold up for long.

Good luck with your program! It sounds like a lot of fun. And that banjo 'uke is lovely.

Having been a teacher who used the ukulele as an elective class for credit, and as a uke seller now who has sold 8 dozens of ukuleles to different schools, I would recommend Eddy Finn Minnows. I will even tell you how you can get in touch with the importer and you can buy them as a dealer. It is a soprano with geared tuners, and a written ten year warranty. They come in seven differnt colours, and you can pick and choose what ones you want. Since I make ukulele straps in 16 different colours, I will sell to you at a price which is reserved for educators and kids being educated. A strap greatly increases the odds that someone will successfully learn.
how to play. It no longer feels akward, nor does it hurt the holding forearm. Yes, they are under 20 pounds in price.

Having been a teacher who used the ukulele as an elective class for credit, and as a uke seller now who has sold 8 dozens of ukuleles to different schools, I would recommend Eddy Finn Minnows. I will even tell you how you can get in touch with the importer and you can buy them as a dealer. It is a soprano with geared tuners, and a written ten year warranty. They come in seven differnt colours, and you can pick and choose what ones you want. Since I make ukulele straps in 16 different colours, I will sell to you at a price which is reserved for educators and kids being educated. A strap greatly increases the odds that someone will successfully learn.
how to play. It no longer feels akward, nor does it hurt the holding forearm. Yes, they are under 20 pounds in price.

:agree: The ones I've heard sound amazing for the price. A friend in my uke club just bought one and is also amazed.

Glasgow gmeneryn

Thank you very much for all the advice guys.

CraftedCow - this sounds fantastic. Would the price not become prohibitive due to us having to ship the ukes to the UK?

If you think that it is still an option please let me know - you can send details to my email if you prefer - dbassblues@hotmail.co.uk

Kind regards to all for helping me spawn a bunch of mini George Formbies!

Top Bottom