UPS charges are usurious

Indeed. The new kitten pried my snark apart so I thought I treat myself to a new tuner and a set of LaBella replacement strings. There was one store where the lowest shipping cost was almost $60 for the $30 purchase. I think I will try to find another store for the strings and use one of the TC monotunes I have instead.

Indeed. The new kitten pried my snark apart so I thought I treat myself to a new tuner and a set of LaBella replacement strings. There was one store where the lowest shipping cost was almost $60 for the $30 purchase. I think I will try to find another store for the strings and use one of the TC monotunes I have instead.
Oh that's so frustrating when the shipping is so ludicrously more costly than the item! I feel for you! It seems to be a particular bane for shipping to Canada (although I bet it's the same shipping from NA to Europe or Asia, too).

Oh that's so frustrating when the shipping is so ludicrously more costly than the item! I feel for you! It seems to be a particular bane for shipping to Canada (although I bet it's the same shipping from NA to Europe or Asia, too).
It is nuts my red low G finally broke today after 100s of hours of playing so am very motivated to get new strings but this is unreasonable.
Capture+_2022-12-27-17-11-03.png

It is nuts my red low G finally broke today after 100s of hours of playing so am very motivated to get new strings but this is unreasonable.
View attachment 146433
My goodness $63 shipping for a set of strings! Insanity…

I usually get my strings from Strings by Mail, their shipping charges are very reasonable.

Yeah, wow! That's crazy! I agree, Strings By Mail shipping is pretty reasonable from US to Canada, I don't mind getting them there. Maybe SBM doesn't carry that specific one you're interested in?

Yeah, wow! That's crazy! I agree, Strings By Mail shipping is pretty reasonable from US to Canada, I don't mind getting them there. Maybe SBM doesn't carry that specific one you're interested in?
Thanks, Yes they do so I ordered a set and a set of Aquila reds to make it worth the while, and they even gave me a $5 off coupon so was super reasonable. Too bad that I already have an eclectic pile of strings that I thought I wanted to try but never got around to. If I don't like the nylon then will put the Martin FC on that I think I have had the longest unopened.

I just ran across some info on avoiding brokerage fees: you can refuse the shipper's broker and self-clear the items.

As I understand it, UPS was successfully sued over their broker fees 10ish years ago and now the shippers have to give people the option of doing it themselves. You need to refuse the shipper's brokerage and then go to a CBSA Inland Office (you don't need to go to the border) to pay the duty & taxes yourself.

I just ran across some info on avoiding brokerage fees: you can refuse the shipper's broker and self-clear the items.

As I understand it, UPS was successfully sued over their broker fees 10ish years ago and now the shippers have to give people the option of doing it themselves. You need to refuse the shipper's brokerage and then go to a CBSA Inland Office (you don't need to go to the border) to pay the duty & taxes yourself.

Oh wow! Thanks for this! I'll look into that for future reference. Brilliant!

This is good to know but also noteable that this is up to the SHIPPER. Would Mim be willing to do that and add to the cost of the uke?
No, the brokerage agreement is between the shipping company (UPS) and the recipient (you). The sender (Mim) is not involved at this point.

Somebody has to do the paperwork and pay the duty on the package. The brokerage fee is UPS' charge to do that for you, but you can do the legwork yourself.

When you get the notice from UPS that import charges are due you don't pay UPS. Instead call UPS and tell them that you'll self clear the item, and then pay the duties directly to CBSA.
  1. You pay Mim for the uke & shipping
  2. Mim pays UPS to ship, hands them the package, and is done
  3. UPS carries the package from WV to the border through a path that would do the Family Circus proud
  4. UPS asks you to pay their brokerage fee and duty
    1. Option: You pay UPS duty + brokerage, and UPS files the duty for you, charging a brokerage fee for the convenience
    2. Option: You refuse UPS's brokerage, go to CBSA and pay the duty directly. There's no broker and so no brokerage fee. You send UPS the proof from CBSA that the package cleared customs.
  5. UPS delivers the now-released package to you

No, the brokerage agreement is between the shipping company (UPS) and the recipient (you). The sender (Mim) is not involved at this point.

Somebody has to do the paperwork and pay the duty on the package. The brokerage fee is UPS' charge to do that for you, but you can do the legwork yourself.

When you get the notice from UPS that import charges are due you don't pay UPS. Instead call UPS and tell them that you'll self clear the item, and then pay the duties directly to CBSA.
  1. You pay Mim for the uke & shipping
  2. Mim pays UPS to ship, hands them the package, and is done
  3. UPS carries the package from WV to the border through a path that would do the Family Circus proud
  4. UPS asks you to pay their brokerage fee and duty
    1. Option: You pay UPS duty + brokerage, and UPS files the duty for you, charging a brokerage fee for the convenience
    2. Option: You refuse UPS's brokerage, go to CBSA and pay the duty directly. There's no broker and so no brokerage fee. You send UPS the proof from CBSA that the package cleared customs.
  5. UPS delivers the now-released package to you
Sounds good, and maybe works that way going out of the US, but when I've gotten shipments from Europe and Japan via UPS, FedEx and DHL, they've all delivered the package then billed me for duties and fee after the fact.

Sounds good, and maybe works that way going out of the US, but when I've gotten shipments from Europe and Japan via UPS, FedEx and DHL, they've all delivered the package then billed me for duties and fee after the fact.
This is for shipments coming into Canada. The US has different laws and policies.

Top Bottom