Vintage Martin Sopranos: Let the journey begin ... and the questions/analysis

Hey Bill, Simon will bring along his Keli'i for comparison amd I will bring along my Loprinzi. Those are both super sopranos but that is the smallest size we own. I am just really going as a wingman, Simon is hot for a vintage Martin.:)But you never know. I will keep you posted.

The Martin S1 and Brükos are serving my Soprano needs until the Martin 3-Series Cherry arrives. Though I don't plan on getting rid of the S1 or Brükos...

Last edited:
My LoPrinzi Model A Cherry soprano arrived yesterday, and with the superb build, sweet & balanced tone and wonderful projection, it is hands down the best and now my favorite soprano ukelele of all-time...

I got my Loprinzi model A mahogany super soprano in Aug 2014. Simon came over to play it and was smitten by the sound, it is a cannon. This sent him down the road for his own mahogany super soprano and now he wants a vintage Martin. This road will never end :p.

I have been reading your posts with interest..........you've gone on quite the Loprinzi binge, nice.

I got my Loprinzi model A mahogany super soprano in Aug 2014. Simon came over to play it and was smitten by the sound, it is a cannon. This sent him down the road for his own mahogany super soprano and now he wants a vintage Martin. This road will never end :p.

I have been reading your posts with interest..........you've gone on quite the Loprinzi binge, nice.

Yes, I had my first taste of a LoPrinzi over the summer and have had my eye out for the Cherry model A in both a soprano and concert scales. The rapid manner in which I was able to acquire them was a dizzying experience. And the Custom Nova model that Mike @ UkeRepublic offered me was an opportunity I couldn't let pass me by...

I'd suggest looking for a vintage Martin soprano with a vintage Harptone or Geib case. Like this one. I love these old cases. It's the cherry on top.
CIMG4808.jpgCIMG4812.jpg

Last edited:
My style 0 is probably the easiest playing instrument I have. I've determined it to be a 1934 and it has a few repaired cracks on the back and the finish is a little rough, but it sounds amazing with Martin strings...I've never tried anything else and see no reason to, I feel like they were made for each other.

IMG_1523.jpg

Agree with every word of what RichM and Ukuleleden have written below. Every syllable.

Many use Fremont Blacklines or Aquilas (if the nut slots on your particular model are wide enough--some are not). I think bearded Jano has the former, and Krouk has the latter in this awesome video. I can envision you singing this exact jazzy and sultry song, Simon. With DUD on accompanying uke!

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the video ... great stuff ... yes, for sure I will be looking to sing along with the Martin that is looking to find its way into my arms!

Oh, and the second video ... is it because we are Canadian that you think je peut le comprendre? Pas de tout de mes Compaignions parle la belle langue ... Dave ne peut pas le dire ...

Merci pour les videos.

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughtful information on the Martin Vintage Ukes ... its kind of fun searching for that Uke that will fall into your arms and feel like you should have always had it.

Thinking of a Style 0 1920's with peg tuners, and perhaps something in the 1930's Style 0 or 1 ... for starters.

You're naughty, S. Pure naughty. :rolleyes: Naughty incarnate.

Ha ... I thought you would enjoy it ... and yes, I will take song requests ... so send me a few ... to be performed on the soon to be Vintage Martin Ukulele.

My vintage Style 1 is the best soprano I have played. I went through at least half-dozen vintage Martins sopranos (among others) to find it. My experience is that they are generally very good and pretty consistent. I personally like the sound of the mahogany ones better than that of the koa ones.

One is never enough

View attachment 85523
I have these WWII Vintage Martins, I am to. I tried to thin the herd last year. Not a lot of interest, so seeing this I bumped the Martin 3Ms up on the Marketplace. Also have a 1 and 2 both prewar.
Good time to acquire vintage stuff as the prices are about half what they were 10 years ago.
I use Aquila, Worth Brown M and Fremont clear. Of them I think Worth Brown are my favorite. Don't do much picking but like to use various strumming patterns so the Martins are perfect for this. Look at Cliff Edwards on Utube, What Fun.

An Update:

UAS has been raging and with all of the awesome Ukes on UU I felt like a mosquito at the Nudist Beach! I mean, where do you begin when it all looks great!

On the vintage front, I just received from Amazon The Martin Ukulele: The Little Instrument that Helped Create a Guitar Giant ... What an awesome book .... its gonna be hard to focus on work today!

I will see the vintage Uke dealer within the week.

An Update:

UAS has been raging and with all of the awesome Ukes on UU I felt like a mosquito at the Nudist Beach! I mean, where do you begin when it all looks great!

On the vintage front, I just received from Amazon The Martin Ukulele: The Little Instrument that Helped Create a Guitar Giant ... What an awesome book .... its gonna be hard to focus on work today!

I will see the vintage Uke dealer within the week.

I am sensing a "vintage Ukemas" gift........from Simon to Simon :cool:

The last few months have been just a bit tumultuous to several of my previously mentioned ukulele endeavors as they had not worked out for one reason or another. But those disappointments have followed with some nice suprises. So it seems to hold true that some things did indeed happen for a reason. This is where I get back on thread topic with a Vintage Martin addition. Yesterday, I purchased a 1960's Style O that shows in magnificent original condition. I am hoping for its arrival by the end of this week. So by it's expected arrival time, it will be considered a Christmas present.

So thanks (I think :p ) to all of you who have posted up your Vintage Martin Ukes, stories, and your treks to buy one. It has certainly re-fanned the flames to for me to get back on track of my own Martin UAS.

The last few months have been just a bit tumultuous to several of my previously mentioned ukulele endeavors as they had not worked out for one reason or another. But those disappointments have followed with some nice suprises. So it seems to hold true that some things did indeed happen for a reason. This is where I get back on thread topic with a Vintage Martin addition. Yesterday, I purchased a 1960's Style O that shows in magnificent original condition. I am hoping for its arrival by the end of this week. So by it's expected arrival time, it will be considered a Christmas present.

So thanks (I think :p ) to all of you who have posted up your Vintage Martin Ukes, stories, and your treks to buy one. It has certainly re-fanned the flames to for me to get back on track of my own Martin UAS.

Hey. That is great. I hope you have it by Christmas as well.

Post a NUD. I would enjoy reading about your experience. Cheers.

I have a few Martin sopranos, but had a few more when I took this family portrait prob 15 years ago.

(left to right): Style 0 (prob 1950s); style 1M; style 2M (early with violin pegs); style 2K; style 3K; style 5K; and 1928 T-18 tiple.

I still have the 0, 2M, 3K, 5K and tiple.

Attachments

• oldgroup_Martins.jpg
    oldgroup_Martins.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 41
Hey. That is great. I hope you have it by Christmas as well.

Post a NUD. I would enjoy reading about your experience. Cheers.

Well, got the tracking today and it's estimated for 12/26-30 the day/week after Christmas. That's fine with me as long as it arrives safely.

I have a few Martin sopranos, but had a few more when I took this family portrait prob 15 years ago.

(left to right): Style 0 (prob 1950s); style 1M; style 2M (early with violin pegs); style 2K; style 3K; style 5K; and 1928 T-18 tiple.

I still have the 0, 2M, 3K, 5K and tiple.

Jim, That's are wonderful looking Martin family photo! That's a collection to enjoy and be proud of!

Agree with every word of what RichM and Ukuleleden have written below. Every syllable.

Many use Fremont Blacklines or Aquilas (if the nut slots on your particular model are wide enough--some are not). I think bearded Jano has the former, and Krouk has the latter in this awesome video. I can envision you singing this exact jazzy and sultry song, Simon. With DUD on accompanying uke!

Guy on the right was in the 5th Division judging by the diamond on the left sleeve

One thing I noticed right away when comparing a current model Martin 2K with my 1925 Martin 2K side by side, is that mine seems to be quite a bit lighter weight than the current models Martin has been making. That could possibly contribute to the difference in sound, though I would think a lot of it has to do with the age difference.

I have noticed similar weight differences with vintage guitars too. A Gibson ES-175 archtop from the 1950s is quite a bit lighter built than more recent models. I have also noticed that with pre-war Martin guitars compared to current similar models. I don't know what accounts for the changes in build, though I suspect it may have to do with an attempt to decrease warranty issues. However, my 1925 2K ukulele doesn't have any cracks or other damage, so the lighter builds can survive if cared for properly.

Tony

I had a friend who always said, "perception is reality". I think that this can apply well to instruments. There have been blind tests done with fine violins and it turned out that the old instruments did not come out on top. But there is something to be said for possessing an instrument with a past and that was made with skill rather than precision. I love the older instruments for many reasons, but when I sit and play, I am in the moment and the instrument has to reveal itself as it is now. I have had early Gibson Mandolins, a 1916 Gibson L-1 Guitar and fine Banjos from the late 19th century, but my favorite instrument was my Martin 000-18V for it's playability and tone. It was forgiving and expressive and I smiled as I played. I guess that my point is that you should play what you like, and if being vintage is part of that equation, or if you think that it is a good investment, then the vintage instrument is the right choice. It is an instrument and a personal possession, so it should appeal to as many senses as possible. If you don't love it, it will probably show in the music that you make with it.

Only one of my Ukuleles is a vintage Martin. It has a special place and it is nice to think about where and when it was made. I am aware that my opinion is in the minority and may get a few disputing responses, but I have to say that I love the sound and playability of the newer Nazareth Martins, Kiwayas and Laughlins. I have had to experiment with the strings and set-up, but they have the tone and playability that I was looking for without the high price that goes with vintage. The downside is that they don't have the resale value or the history, but I don't think about that when I am playing them.

Top Bottom