Wannabe baritone players

For those of you that WANT to try playing the baritone what is stopping you???

This is for the people who have a desire to play the BIG uke, what is holding you back. Cost of a another instrument, the idea of learning different chords ( it's all the same we just call a G a C)

Maybe you like the sound but you're afraid the size will be uncomfortable. What if you could buy a good used one at a reasonable price. Would that enable you to get something you have been really desiring?

There is a hidden agenda to this question so tell me your most compelling reasons you want one but haven't got one yet.

1. I have 3 ukes. A 4th? Really?

2. Time and cost. Time as in can I give baritone the play time it deserves? And not that it must be expensive, but there's always some cost for uke and then trying out strings if needed.

3. Strings. Most sets have some wound, and I prefer non-wound.

4. Size. Yes, I play acoustic guitar. But the idea of a uke being "big" kind of puts me off. I had a cheap, barely playable bari once and could hardly hold or play it.

5. Neck profile. Disclaimer: I've only played one. But found the neck too thick and uncomfortable.

6. Would it be worth it? I.e. is it different enough to add another uke to the family?

I'm fine with the different chords idea and even the sound. I could see myself playing more classical pieces on baritone. More melody style would help me learn the fretboard, etc.

I love the idea of a traveling uke, but besides a sticker...
what about a youtube or vimeo page where each player contributes a video of a song.
(I saw a uke video where 4 professionals played the same uke and it sounded different with each player)

Heck, I would split shipping with two people just to be part of that.
=)

I love the idea of a traveling uke, but besides a sticker...
what about a youtube or vimeo page where each player contributes a video of a song.
(I saw a uke video where 4 professionals played the same uke and it sounded different with each player)

Heck, I would split shipping with two people just to be part of that.
=)

Great idea.

I was thinking a sticker on the case, and maybe a pay it forward $10 gift indigenous of your home town for the next person that will get the Baritone Uke.

Definitely a YouTube channel with performances.

Great idea.

I was thinking a sticker on the case, and maybe a pay it forward $10 gift indigenous of your home town for the next person that will get the Baritone Uke.

Definitely a YouTube channel with performances.

I won't put any strings attached to the use of this baritone. My intension was to let people who have never played a baritone before spend some time with one. I figured in might be mostly beginer to intermidiate level players. These folks might not be comfortable doing audio or video recordings. I just want to share this opportunity with those that would like to try a baritone ukulele.

This was not intended as any kind of promotion or publicity stunt. Those that are intersted can PM if you are too shy to go public about this. It is really all about you who want to give this a shot in the privacy of your own home.

I think this is a great idea! Has anybody committed yet? I've been playing soprano and tenor for about a year but I don't see myself buying a bari anytime soon. Very curious. Too much stuff in line to buy first. I'm going to need another tenor for Low G, banjo uke of some kind, if my kids keep playing I'll have to upgrade their ukes, vintage soprano, new acoustic guitar and on and on it goes.

I'd love the loner for about a month and then I'll pass it along. I just started jamming with some acoustic guitar players and the bari would be a great fit.

Let me know how the list is looking. This is such a great concept Dave, I want to be part of it! Mahalo!

Top Bottom