Want To Replace Strap Button

BiosphereDecay

Island Punk Rock
UU VIP
Reaction score
My concert has a black strap button on the back, and a brass one on the neck. (The black one is actually the electric output jack.)

I want to replace the brass one with a black one. I'm not particularly picky other than it being black. I'll post a couple pictures of the existing one.

Hole: 3cm deep, 6mm diameter.

Screw: 3.75cm entire length(including the button). 4mm diameter. (The diameters are probably both closer to 5 I assume.)

Washer: 1.2cm diameter

Everything I can find is a different style with a screw down the center. This one has the screw built in, and the screw part is much thicker.

Where should I be looking for this sort of thing? If any of you find one that might work, please link me. Thanks!

Tuner for scale:
20240430_145809.jpg
20240430_150010.jpg20240430_150144.jpg

Looks really big, and since it's not pointed, it may screw into a thread inside there somewhere. I would put it back in and chill out! So far I am leaning towards developing a patina.

What does it look like inside the uke towards the heel? Did a bolt fall off inside when you unscrewed it?

Looks really big, and since it's not pointed, it may screw into a thread inside there somewhere. I would put it back in and chill out! So far I am leaning towards developing a patina.

What does it look like inside the uke towards the heel? Did a bolt fall off inside when you unscrewed it?
Once threaded in it fits snugly, but before that, it sits in the hole pretty loosely. I think the threading is only toward the opening of the hole.

Once threaded in it fits snugly, but before that, it sits in the hole pretty loosely. I think the threading is only toward the opening of the hole.
Looks like the threads are embedded as part of the manufacture process. There is a chance that it has a structural function (like holding the neck and body together). That is also a huge hole and I doubt you will find a strap holder that works.

Perhaps the blackening paint you reference is the best solution.

If that's an Enya it's also holding the neck on... you could ask them if they could supply you one, it seems to be that same as on their hpl ukes, which are black.
It probably helps hold it together, considering how many different pieces of wood make up the neck joint. Didn't fall apart on me though. Blackening it is then. Seems easy enough.

Four word solution: black Rustoleum spray paint (cue sound of mic dropping :ROFLMAO:).
Seriously, I recommend gloss but matte could actually last longer. For good measure, after paint is fully dried, you could seal with Rustoleum XX clear spray sealant.
When complete, the remaining paint will last for years if stored in a cool dry place.

EDIT: Lightly sand with fine- grit paper before painting & wipe away dust with a damp, lint free cloth.

It probably helps hold it together, considering how many different pieces of wood make up the neck joint. Didn't fall apart on me though. Blackening it is then. Seems easy enough
If it's an Enya there's no probably. Loosen the strings and pull, the neck should slide out of a slot under the fretboard.

Last edited:
Yup, that first and foremost is a neckbolt. Definately. The strapbutton is just a feature added to that.
Oh, and glueing in a dowel? I guess not... Unless you want some serious action happening next time you restring that thing 😁...

I hope you don't miss a thread when putting it back in, that would be a problem...

Yup, that first and foremost is a neckbolt. Definately. The strapbutton is just a feature added to that.
Oh, and glueing in a dowel? I guess not... Unless you want some serious action happening next time you restring that thing 😁...

I hope you don't miss a thread when putting it back in, that would be a problem...
Yikes I always thought that neck bolts went through the neck block at the inside of the uke. I also have Enya toy uke for travel and the useless strap buttons are annoying, so I thought about removing them. But if they hold the uke together I guess I am stuck.

On acoustic guitars probably, yes. There you have room to wriggle in a hand and allen key. Bigger soundhole, right?

Sometimes you find them on some cheaper acoustic guitars, but they are mostly sunken in and then plugged in the heel and sprayed over top.
They're not really meant for taking off the neck or something. They're just a construction aid.
The creed: you don't want to spend $250 on a neck-reset with a $150 guitar do you? Usually no trussrod either so there you go 😁...

Now you know how those ukes are made cheap(er): more slack on tolerances to fit the neck and then just crank it up tight.

You could always replace it with a more flush headed bolt I guess, if you want to get rid of the strapbutton alltogether. If you take it (the bolt that is, not the whole ukulele 😁) to a decent hardware store they can set you up with something that fits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes I always thought that neck bolts went through the neck block at the inside of the uke. I also have Enya toy uke for travel and the useless strap buttons are annoying, so I thought about removing them. But if they hold the uke together I guess I am stuck.
I don't think this applies to novas. the first sopranos didn't have strap buttons (see Baz's review)...but an issue might be a nut on the inside, if bolted rather than screwed into the body

I don't think this applies to novas. the first sopranos didn't have strap buttons (see Baz's review)...but an issue might be a nut on the inside, if bolted rather than screwed into the body
Didn't know it was about a PVC uke...
I've not yet come across a Nova (🤞), so can't say. Only way to check is to take it off I guess. If it starts to rattle: yes there'a a nut inside 😁.
(...but you can also just back it off just a little bit. Just far enough to let you see if it's threaded like a bolt or a screw...)

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's an Enya there's no probably. Loosen the strings and pull, the neck should slide out of a slot under the fretboard.
I picked it up by the neck with the bolt out multiple times. I flipped it over at least once. It may be structural, but the neck doesn't just slide out. Unless the strings are enough to hold it together. Idk

I also can see clearly that it's glued together too.
I've not yet come across a Nova (🤞), so can't say. Only way to check is to take it off I guess. If it starts to rattle: yes there'a a nut inside 😁.
(...but you can also just back it off just a little bit. Just far enough to let you see if it's threaded like a bolt or a screw...)

I have a nova, and the strap button is not on the neck. It's plastic so it's all one piece. Actually pretty indestructible. I'd recommend it if you want a durable travel soprano that can be played in any conditions, even rain, without being damaged.

Yeah I think trying to jury rig a different button in its place is probably a bad idea, even if it wasn't structural.

I got the screw back in properly (and have used a strap since then). What would happen if I missed a thread? There isn't nearly as much threading in the wood as on the screw.

I picked it up by the neck with the bolt out multiple times. I flipped it over at least once. It may be structural, but that doesn't mean the neck will just slide out. Unless the strings are enough to hold it together. Idk

I have a nova, and the strap button is not on the neck. It's plastic so it's all one piece. Actually pretty indestructible. I'd recommend it if you want a dutsble travel soprano that can be played in any conditions, even rain, without being damaged.

Yeah I think trying to jury rig a different button in its place is probably a bad idea, even if it wasn't structural.

I got the screw back in properly (and have used a strap since then). What would happen if I missed a thread? There isn't nearly as much threading in the wood as on the screw.

I'm excited to post my modified Enya MS. I think it looks way better, but I still have some work to do (like blackening that strap button) before it's finished.

I have a nova, and the strap button is not on the neck. It's plastic so it's all one piece. Actually pretty indestructible. I'd recommend it if you want a durable travel soprano that can be played in any conditions, even rain, without being damaged.
Naah, I'm good 😎 ...

Top Bottom