Want To Replace Strap Button

Could you tell me what you mean by "I hope you don't miss a thread". I value your input, but sometimes it's a little vague. I'd like to know the risks before I take it out for the blackening.
If you miss a thread (bolt not straight), the bolt can ruin the threads of the insert. Essentially ruining your uke.
Tip 1: put some wax on the threads.
Tip 2: when you insert the bolt, let it hit the insert, and then turn counter-threadwise until you feel it click in. Then tighten.
Tip 3: tight is tight. Not yanking the hell out of it... Fingertight and half a turn?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you miss a thread, the bolt can ruin the threads of the insert. Essentially ruining your uke.
Tip 2: when you insert the bolt, let it hit the insert, and then turn counter-threadwise until you feel it click in. Then tighten.
Tip 3: tight is tight. Not yanking the hell out of it... Fingertight and half a turn?
Well, that definitely makes me a bit nervous to do it again, but I did it once without any problems I guess.

Thank you for the more detailed advice.

Last edited:
If you miss a thread (bolt not straight), the bolt can ruin the threads of the insert. Essentially ruining your uke.
It seems that you are describing what I would call "cross threading."

I agree about not tightening it too tight--I bought an hpl Enya and there was a small crack in the neck, presumably where the music store cranked it down as tightly as they could. 🙄 It doesn't seem to be anything that would cause any problems going forward, so I went ahead and bought it. But still, you don't want to crack the wood when it's totally unnecessary.

Top Bottom