what song inspired you to start playing the ukulele? (and did you learn it?)

Oh sorry I got carried away and forgot the second question. I learned half of weeps quite a while ago, haven't tried to learn any more since then. I started learning Somewhere over the rainbow but I stopped because my vocals were not up to the standard I had for that song (see post above)

I went to see Eddie Vedder play this summer in Seattle at Benaroya Hall and after that performance I was sold on the Ukulele...

No tomatoes please. Inspiration was started while surfing the internet looking for a musical instrument to try to learn to play upon retirement. The song that did it was Formby’s “You Can’t Love Two Girls at the Same Time”. After looking at pricing of Banjoleles I thought I should buy a beginner Uke to start, which I did. I ran across an old favorite “House of the Rising Sun” which really got me inspired and yes I learned it, with Ukulele Mike’s lesson video. Also started learning “Good Night Irene” which was my mother’s favorite recording back in the 50’s (the Bb took a while). I then ordered the Banjolele and I am still working on learning my Formby songs, including “You Can’t Love ….”. I am still inspired and yes, I have UAS. Just realized that answering the questions was not as simple as I thought it would be.

my friend brought a cheap uke and starting playing 'let it be' continuously for about 2 days so he kinda hypnotised me into getting one.

Really wanted to play the uke when Mumford and Sons 'The Cave' after I watched a video with someone playing the twiddly bits at the start. It really showed me that it wasn't just a strumming instrument.

Now I can play them both :)

It was duet with myself by charlieissocollike. But i am yet to learn the song, will get to it though.

For me it was not a song - which is good because I don't have to answer the second half of the question. :)

For me it was YouTube videos of a number of people - Tamine Gardner, WS64, the Gugug guys Gus and Finn, and others. Taken together they presented a picture of an instrument capable of incredible depth (Tamine and Jake) to just crazy fun (Gus and Finn) with a little bit of everything in between. That was a little over a year ago and now, my guitars gently weep for they rarely get played anymore. :)

John

for me it has to be Love Bug by the "Jonas Brothers" (yeah i know....) but i heard and said "DANG i wish i could play this song...." then i got a uke :p

Top Bottom