Whats the best stain for Koa ?

Chatoyancy

I learned a new word! Thanks Paul. Chatoyancy. I think koa looks like it has the sun trapped inside and is trying to get out. Very unique wood.

To each his own. I don't like staining almost any wood. Boring straight grained pieces are my thing, but vanilla is also my favorite flavor of ice cream. There seems to be a conception that koa, or any other wood needs to be figured to be considered beautiful. I really don't like staining koa. Tinted laquer isn't too bad, but I find that staining really kills a lot of the natural chatoyance of the wood. Koa runs a wide gamut of colors and grain patterns, but almost all of it displays some degree of chatoyancy. If you clear or amber coat right over, the natural beauty of the grain is highlighted a lot more than pieces that are stained.

"Chatoyance?" Is that a word they teach you at Iolani? : )

I've rubbed down Koa with boiled linseed oil using 0000 steel wool and after curing applied a clear coat. This was on turned calabashes and cabinets not on a 'ukulele which I have yet to make but it did bring out the contrasts in grain color and gave it some translucency.

Zog said, " I think koa looks like it has the sun trapped inside and is trying to get out. "

Very nicely put.

Top Bottom