Wich strings for my Fender Nohea ?

helric

Reaction score
Hi everyone ! Please excuse my poor english, I'm french and it isn't easy for me to explain exactly what I need. I've bought a Fender Nohea (laminated koa). I love this uke but it doesn't sound loud enough for me. I'm looking for strings which could make it sound louder. Actually, it is strung with Fremont Black Tenor. The sound is smooth but... Not enough loud. I've read that D'ADDARIO PRO ARTE J71 or WORTH CLEAR (CT) could be great for this fender. What about the Aquila strings ? I don't love them on sopranos but how do they sound on tenor ?
I know that most of you have tried a lot of strings of this uke. Can you help me and tell me which strings would be better for a louder bright sound on the Nohea. I precise that I really love picking style and I don't strum my tenor (sopranos are better I think for this kind of playins style).
Thank you !:)

You will really just have to try them all and see which ones you like best. You can also try classical guitar strings if you like. I had been playing Savarez alliance strings and they are quite good. But what I like you might not. Try them all make notes of what you like about each and go back to your favourite when you think you've found them. Good luck!

Worths are fluorocarbon strings just like Freemonts. D'Addario are nylon strings. IMO, your best bet would probably be Aquilla Nylgut strings. Also take into consideration the build and tonewoods used. You may have to try different sets or combinations to find what suits your needs.

You will really just have to try them all and see which ones you like best. You can also try classical guitar strings if you like. I had been playing Savarez alliance strings and they are quite good. But what I like you might not. Try them all make notes of what you like about each and go back to your favourite when you think you've found them. Good luck!

You can read every post about strings (and there are plenty of them) and never get a better answer than Rzr's.
Try them all and pick what you like. That is the best string.

Hi everyone ! Please excuse my poor english, I'm french and it isn't easy for me to explain exactly what I need. I've bought a Fender Nohea (laminated koa). I love this uke but it doesn't sound loud enough for me. I'm looking for strings which could make it sound louder. Actually, it is strung with Fremont Black Tenor. The sound is smooth but... Not enough loud. I've read that D'ADDARIO PRO ARTE J71 or WORTH CLEAR (CT) could be great for this fender. What about the Aquila strings ? I don't love them on sopranos but how do they sound on tenor ?
I know that most of you have tried a lot of strings of this uke. Can you help me and tell me which strings would be better for a louder bright sound on the Nohea. I precise that I really love picking style and I don't strum my tenor (sopranos are better I think for this kind of playins style).
Thank you !:)

I've tried probably every string imaginable on mine. My favorites are Fremont Blacks, followed by Worth Clears. If you want low G, go with the Worths. Otherwise I like the Fremonts.

I have D'addario pro artes on mine right now, because I didn't want a wound C string. If you're looking for brightness and volume, I wouldn't go with this option, they sound lovely, and I'm enjoying them, but they have a very mellow tone, I think. When looking for bright, loud strings I think Aquila is a good option to try. Bon Chance! (that's how you say that right?)

"You can read every post about strings (and there are plenty of them) and never get a better answer than Rzr's.Try them all and pick what you like. That is the best string. "
That's what i did but the choice is so difficult. I know that every string has a particular sound and volume and everyone has prefererence.... But I know that the Fender Nohea is very popular in the USA and I guess you've have tried all these strings on this uke :)
My intention is to find strings that could make the volume bigger without killing the smooth typically sound of the uke.

"I've tried probably every string imaginable on mine. My favorites are Fremont Blacks, followed by Worth Clears. If you want low G, go with the Worths. Otherwise I like the Fremonts."
I really love the sound of Fremont Blacks but the sound isn't louder I think. The Worth Clear are very good strings and I love their punchy clear sound.

"I have D'addario pro artes on mine right now, because I didn't want a wound C string. If you're looking for brightness and volume, I wouldn't go with this option, they sound lovely, and I'm enjoying them, but they have a very mellow tone, I think. When looking for bright, loud strings I think Aquila is a good option to try. Bon Chance! (that's how you say that right?)"
Humm, Aquila strings are generally louder than other but every time I tried on them I didn't like their texture under my fingers. However, I'll perhaps try them one more time on this tenor... I have never strung a Uke with D'ADDARIO, so I hear what you say and I think I will not try those strings.
In France, we say "bonne chance !" et merci à toi pour ces quelques mots en français ;)

Top Bottom