Worth Clears: Any other brand similar?

My two favourite similar sounding strings are: Martin or Worth clear. I use mostly Martin though.

Though Martin strings don't sound good on some ukes. I agree that Ko'olau Golds sounded great on my Pono.

Pete

I have a set of the Savarez 150R from stringsbymail on my Kanilea tenor right now. Compared to the Worth CT set I usually use, the Savarez are a bit brighter with slightly increased tension. Not as soft on the fingers.

I prefer the tonal balance of the Worth CT and will be switching back.

I have become partial to D'Addario T2s. I was a Worth clear fan, but when I had my custom built, Chuck wanted to put on the T2s. I like 'em.

Chuck would probably suggest the Worth Clears now. Tomorrow I'll probably recommend Savarez.
Anyone have experience with the new D'Addario/Aquila Nyltechs? I've got some but haven't used any yet.

I've got Nyltechs on a spruce top concert and like how it tones down the brightness a little, but keeps the clarity and sustain.Just put Nyltechs on Pono MC that had Mahana (nylon) strings. Nyltechs are a definite improvement.

I would not recommend Nyltechs for all ukes, if you like really bright tones. Nyltechs are clearer, less muddy than Aquila strings.

I have found them a nice transition from nylon strings. I like the silkly warm tone of some nylon strings, but nylon has little sustain.

Last edited:
I'm extremely fond of the Martin 600's.

Aquilas are good... loud, but not as bright. I tried both the Ko'olou Golds and Clears and the Clears are quite good (about the same as the Martins imo) but I found the Gold's to "hard" on the fingers, not enough give for my liking.

best ones for me are the the worth clears, southcoasts and Ken's new Living Water sets, they are really wonderful strings.

Dear Cool, you've probably got more than enough information, but I'll present a slightly different view. I love Fremont Blacklines and Orcas (my second choice) and Worth Browns (my third choice) and have tried Southcoast mediums and light mediums, Aquilas, Martins, and D'Addarios. I've used these strings on various vintage Martins, Favillas and Gretsch ukes, a 70's Kamaka, KoAloha Pikake and probably some others. I like a tight clear bell-like sound from my Martins and found that Fremonts really fit the bill, Orcas are about the same and Worth Browns slightly less preferred. I found the Southcoast mediums harder to fret and switched to the light mediums. The sound was rounder, warmer and perhaps more complex but less clear and bell-like. My ukes are all sopranos and I like the thinness of the Fremonts especially because it reduces string buzz because I can fret them better with my short fingers. As others have written, the curse of the uke is that every uke may sound best with a different type of string so YMMV. cheers, g2

The Martins are similar. The Southcoast are similar, but not as well balanced in my opinion. Other than those two, I haven't found anything. I tried D'Addario classical strings and liked the sound very much, but they were very quiet. I think I'm done experimenting and sticking with Worth clears. (Maybe I'll try the Freemont Blacklines sometime, on your recommendation)

Top Bottom