Adirondack Spruce Tops

I'm just saying--if you don't have a means to compare ukes locally, then one way to go is by using the online dealer's return policy. They understand the dilemma and try to work with honest people who are just trying to make a decision.

Returning some ukes you tried and don't like is not abuse. Returning the same model ukulele nine times because the top never had a grain pattern you found appealing would probably get you blacklisted. ;)

I'm just saying--if you don't have a means to compare ukes locally, then one way to go is by using the online dealer's return policy. They understand the dilemma and try to work with honest people who are just trying to make a decision.

Returning some ukes you tried and don't like is not abuse. Returning the same model ukulele nine times because the top never had a grain pattern you found appealing would probably get you blacklisted. ;)

since this is KKimura's thread and it was about Adi Spruce...don't want to Hi-Jack his thread....:)
but how many ukes do you think is fair....you would order 5-10 of the same model and just keep one? or would you keep more than 1...

and how many times would you do this with the same seller....

since this is KKimura's thread and it was about Adi Spruce...don't want to Hi-Jack his thread....:)
but how many ukes do you think is fair....you would order 5-10 of the same model and just keep one? or would you keep more than 1...

and how many times would you do this with the same seller....

Why all the discussion about this? :confused:

If I had no local or regional options to try and buy, I might buy two or three models and keep the one I liked best. Not multiples of the same model. Maybe once a year.

Why all the discussion about this? :confused:

If I had no local or regional options to try and buy, I might buy two or three models and keep the one I liked best. Not multiples of the same model. Maybe once a year.

Haha....that sounds fair...I thought I read that you would order 5-10 ukes....and once a year makes sense..

hopefully back to Adi Spruce again...:)
sorry KKimura......

Haha....that sounds fair...I thought I read that you would order 5-10 ukes....and once a year makes sense..

sorry KKimura......

I had posted "you could buy two or three or a half dozen ukes" with the "half dozen ukes" being somewhat facetious. :)

sorry KKimura......

No worries, the "how to buy" part of this thread seemed to be a natural and interesting segway to my Adirondack question.

Certainly returning a uke that you don't want to an online seller is better to me than trying a the uke in a "brick and mortar" local store then buying it online.

Certainly returning a uke that you don't want to an online seller is better to me than trying a the uke in a "brick and mortar" local store then buying it online.

That's just bad juju. I try to buy locally if I can. The last two guitars I bought were purchased online because the local store didn't have what I wanted in stock, or wouldn't give me what I wanted in trade-in value. I tried, but it doesn't always work out. So I bought online and sold the guitar I was going to trade in on CL. I also have an acoustic that I bought locally, and my uke was made by a local luthier.

That's just bad juju. I try to buy locally if I can. The last two guitars I bought were purchased online because the local store didn't have what I wanted in stock, or wouldn't give me what I wanted in trade-in value. I tried, but it doesn't always work out. So I bought online and sold the guitar I was going to trade in on CL. I also have an acoustic that I bought locally, and my uke was made by a local luthier.

I'm with you 100% on that Diamond Dave. My guitar and OXK were local store purchases (if you can call driving over 80 miles to buy a uke local). The TK-38 was an online buy because they had a used one that I had to try.

Somewhere out there is a spruce top with my name on it. As soon as the weather around here straightens out I'll hit the road on another uke safari.

It doesn't matter which type of spruce top you get. What is important though, is that it should be torrefied. Because you'll want your new ukulele to sound like an old friend with no uncertainty at all.

For the doubters, Taylor guitars is doing this also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNBtajOaSTs

It doesn't matter which type of spruce top you get. What is important though, is that it should be torrefied. Because you'll want your new ukulele to sound like an old friend with no uncertainty at all.

For the doubters, Taylor guitars is doing this also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNBtajOaSTs

Yeah, I'm a believer in "torrefied" or aged spruce tops. I demoed a Bourgeous OM with an aged top. That guitar had sustain that lasted forever.

I don't know if any ukulele makers offer torrefied or aged tops though.

I have a Compass Rose with an adi top. I've brought it in to bothe Sylvan and Gryphon to compare it to Engleman and redwood topped CR's.

Mine has more sustain and a warmer, richer tone in comparison. More fullness like a guitar rather than a traditional ukulele.

Hope that helps.

I have a Compass Rose with an adi top. I've brought it in to bothe Sylvan and Gryphon to compare it to Engleman and redwood topped CR's.

Mine has more sustain and a warmer, richer tone in comparison. More fullness like a guitar rather than a traditional ukulele.

Hope that helps.

Nice to know, thanks!

Top Bottom