Changing electronics on an Enya Nova Pro Tenor

JoeWis

Reaction score
I've been loving my Enya Nova Pro Tenor with the radius and metal fretted fingerboard. It sounds good plugged in too. However, I am not a fan of the "effects" system that sort of works when played acoustically. Also, I seem to randomly get a buzz that may be caused from the wire mess inside. I can sometimes make it go away by giving the uke a good knock. I wish it had something like a Fishman pickup system with a built-in tuner that cancels out the PA feed when switched to tuning mode. I'm wondering if it is possible to rip out the goofy wire mess of the original effects/pickup system and install the Fishman that I described.

I've been loving my Enya Nova Pro Tenor with the radius and metal fretted fingerboard. It sounds good plugged in too. However, I am not a fan of the "effects" system that sort of works when played acoustically. Also, I seem to randomly get a buzz that may be caused from the wire mess inside. I can sometimes make it go away by giving the uke a good knock. I wish it had something like a Fishman pickup system with a built-in tuner that cancels out the PA feed when switched to tuning mode. I'm wondering if it is possible to rip out the goofy wire mess of the original effects/pickup system and install the Fishman that I described.
Does your Enya have the externally-mounted control panel on the side? If it does, you'll probably have to leave it there. If you can find the wire that is lose and buzzing, you can put a bit of "something sticky" on it to prevent it from moving. Removing the current system and installing a Fishman would probably be more difficult than installing a Fishman fresh.

An easier fix would be to leave the Enya unit in place and install the Fishman independently. You would have a unique ukulele - one with two jack sockets. Placing those little disks would be a challenge since Enya already has the prime location under the bridge. Perhaps putting the Fishman disks directly onto the underside of the top would work.

NOTE: I am not an electronics expert, but I like to figure things out and experiment. 😋

I have ukes with those "effects" electronics, and they are just so-so.

Does your Enya have the externally-mounted control panel on the side? If it does, you'll probably have to leave it there. If you can find the wire that is lose and buzzing, you can put a bit of "something sticky" on it to prevent it from moving. Removing the current system and installing a Fishman would probably be more difficult than installing a Fishman fresh.

An easier fix would be to leave the Enya unit in place and install the Fishman independently. You would have a unique ukulele - one with two jack sockets. Placing those little disks would be a challenge since Enya already has the prime location under the bridge. Perhaps putting the Fishman disks directly onto the underside of the top would work.

NOTE: I am not an electronics expert, but I like to figure things out and experiment. 😋

I have ukes with those "effects" electronics, and they are just so-so.
Thanks. I figured this was not going to be easy. I hope I can find a local tech to help. Just wish Enya didn't go for the goofy effects and just put in a nice pickup like a MISI

Probably better to just buy the acoustic only version and install what you’re wanting.

Probably better to just buy the acoustic only version and install what you’re wanting.
I agree.
The "acoustic effects" system is sort of an electric Enya's gimmick that is somewhat central to its design and probably made up the a significant portion of the instrument's cost. I don't imagine it would be easy to completely remove as there are bits of it stuck onto the soundboard, but it wouldn't be impossible if you are determined.

Personally I think it would be more efficient to get another ukulele with the pickup system you want, or get the same model Enya without the electronics and install the Fishman system yourself.

If it's just the wiring rattle bothering you, you might be able to tie up the wires inside using cable-ties so that they're less likely to rattle.

Thanks folks, I'm agreeing with the idea of getting just an acoustic version of the uke and installing an under saddle pickup, or having it done. I do really like the instrument. The playability, radius fingerboard, note accuracy, and sound are fantastic and perfect for playing outside.

I'm taking the advice above, gonna buy an acoustic version and install an undersaddle piezo pickup with a side mounted battery box/tuner/controls. I found a Flight version from Walmart. Was looking for a Fishman Kula, but the only place it was sold was Ebay. I don't think Fishman makes them anymore, since they are not on their website.

I wrote to Enya asking about how they were made and if my idea made sense. Amazingly, two days later I received a great supporting email, including a link to an actual installation video of Enya's electronics in their factory. They also confirmed that the saddle slot depth in the base of bridge is identical on both acoustic and pickup versions, and that the compensated bridge for the latter is actually shallower to accommodate the piezo strip that sits under it. That made me realize it was going to be a lot easier to install the piezo, because I did not want to have to router out the slot. They also told me they would sell the shorter compensated saddle. Fantastic customer service.

Top Bottom