Ghetto Ukulele Giveaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to add to what I posted earlier. I was in the market for a new ukulele because I not only need another good ukulele, but I also need a good solid uke for when I start teaching some of the local kids beginner ukulele lessons. There is such a high demand for teachers here.. Theres alot of interest so I decided to help out. I also have some micronesian kids who live next door who wanted to learn too.

If I had two ukulele's here I could let one of the kids use one and I could teach them using the other. So I could definitely put it to good use! :) Thanks for giving us this chance George!

Last edited:
i'm not entering this one but just wanted to add to the praise. GX9901, you is the man! thanks for spreading the uke love!:D:D:D

This is totally what I love about the ukulele community! GX9901 represents what ukulele means to me... someone who generously encourages the community grow and expand (without asking for anything in return). And this type of behaviour only creates more love!

Hey I really want this uke. I've really only had two ukuleles and they were both pretty bad, and now I only have my soprano. I really want a tenor. I have been trying to get one for about a year now, but I can never get one considering that I have no job and not much money. My one and only soprano:[I'll post pics later]

This is totally what I love about the ukulele community! GX9901 represents what ukulele means to me... someone who generously encourages the community grow and expand (without asking for anything in return). And this type of behaviour only creates more love!

Right on man. Guys like GX9901, Deach, Dom, Aldrine, Ryan, Seeso, just to name a few all are doing so much for the cause! They each contribute so much whether it be tabs, lessons, or even giving back to the community! It means alot to me especially with how much I've learned just since I've been a member here at UU. :rock:

First, let me echo others comments in saying that this is what I love about the uke community... and you rock, man!

My story & attempt at persuasion as to why I would love to be the (so appreciative) recipient of the tenor uke:

I just got my fist uke 4 1/2 months ago, a cheap soprano. I'd been watching uke videos for awhile & babbling to my friend about the awesomeness of them & he bought me one for Xmas, in kind of a "Here! Now shutup!" move. I instantly fell in love, the moment I picked it up. So much so, that 2 weeks later I went out & bought myself a decent concert size. What did I do with the soprano? I gave it to my 10 year old & started giving him lessons. Now, I know you said not to post for others... but he's a bit young to be on forums yet ;) I would love to have this uke because the one he's trying to learn on is so crappy it's making it way harder... and I have this dream of us being the first(?) mother & son ukulele rock band!

newuke010.jpg

Last edited:
ok here is my entry for the ghetto ukulele giveaway
you have no idea how much i could really use this ukulele
i decided to make a video outa it,
well here is my entry,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPN2OIoq-5k

and thank you once again GX9901 for being so generous,
we really need more people like you in this world
and good luck to everyone else entering this contest

Right on man. Guys like GX9901, Deach, Dom, Aldrine, Ryan, Seeso, just to name a few all are doing so much for the cause! They each contribute so much whether it be tabs, lessons, or even giving back to the community! It means alot to me especially with how much I've learned just since I've been a member here at UU. :rock:

totally agree with you! some of us don't have the time, money, or access to take lessons and UU provides EVERYONE around the world with lots of information to play the uke. and just like what you and I are doing davoo, we can teach other people locally with what we learn here.

NoLine - Talking uke - so funny!!!

Sorry to hear about your car though.

NoLine - Talking uke - so funny!!!

Sorry to hear about your car though.

no worries, i blame myself for parking in such a shady part of san francisco
i shouldve known better
but im glad you like my vid Deach ^_^

aw man that sucks. :eek: sorry about your car.

Our family had our car stolen before. Apparently it was taken on a joy ride and the cops had a high speed car chase. When we got the car back it barely worked. The weird thing is we had a bible in the car at the time it was stolen and I guess the stole the bible cover haha.

It's always so hard to pick winners for contests like this since so many people would make great use of the prize. I say everyone who could really use this uke should get their word out there and see how it goes... sometimes longshots win, and who knows, with the trend that deach set and that GX9901 is generously continuing, there might be others yet! Good on all of you, and good luck! UU is a family and its great to be a part.

Straight up awesome GX, I could actually use this right now but I feel there are others who should be given the chance. idk I might change my mind :)

What I find really valuable that this ukulele has had a lot of work put into it. And I really like that though it's a cosmetically flawed, everyone wants a piece. People need a ukulele and also people want a momento from the ukulele underground. It's pretty nifty.

It's hard to get a decent ukulele here in Ireland (I could save up and get another from MGM, but I'm starting to get taxed like crazy. My new uke got £40 taxed. That's 80 USD added to about $240.)

hummm... well i think i may try to make a post and possibly make a video if i can get my freaking camera to work...

Why should i get this ukulele? Why? Because i am a musician who lives to play live, and having no ukulele at the moment is stopping me from giving that sweet island sound to my southern Illinois people. yeah thats right this southern Illinois boy wants to play this ukulele, what a better place for this little Pono beauty. It seems that she has had a rough life and i want to give her a new landlocked home. If you choose me i promise to take care of her and give her all the play and care she needs. So, for a needy musician, and giving the ukulele culture to a redneck society, i should get this ukulele.

keep on strummin,

Bassukuguy

possibly a video to follow after this.
COME ON FEEL THE ILLINOISE!

Excellent, if it was mine to give away, bassukuguy gets my vote!!:cool:

By the way, you don't necessarily have to be someone who can't afford a Pono. Even if you already have another Pono model/size or something in the same class, if you think you can put it to good use, by all means let me know here.

Ok, here goes:

I already got a nice tenor tuned to high G. Would love to have another tenor with low g tuning and a built in pickup, (right now I use a BIG SHOT pick up that I can take on and off as necessary, but it doesn't transfer the sound as fully as I'd like). Having an additional uke with the alternate tuning in place will take my playing to a new level. when I upgraded from my daughters hilo soprano to my tenor, I heard new things in the songs I had been playing for years. The overtones led my playing in new directions, gave me confidence to play more difficult tunes, even to learn a song from one of Dominators tabs. I can envision similar breakthroughs with a new lowG uke.
Thats it... Good luck to all, and thanks GX for your generosity.

some vids: Joy to the world on my tenor.

Dreamy Kailua on the hilo soprano

Last edited:
menehunenyc, thanks for your vote hopefully GX takes that into consideration (and good luck on your bid to win this, your video's are really good). i will be making my video tonight so everyone can experience my crappy town and how much it needs more ukulele music.

Peace

weird.....

This is so weird. If you can take the time to look around the forums and fine my posts, you can see that I have been in the market for a ukulele exactly like this one. Weird. I have a Lanakai ukulele and to be honest, yes its nice, but its not really the quality of an ukulele that i would love to use forever.

It's really weird because I was looking for a pono, tenor, ukulele with a black headstock.

A coincedence like this is just weird......

Also, I have said this before: I live in Pennsylvania. Enough said. lol. Ukuleles are SO hard to come by around here that it is insane.

people heckle me at school because they have only seen an ukulele in spongebob squarepant's F.U.N song.....

A big reason for me playing the ukulele is because I love it.(duh) and i love being unique. Playing an ukulele in PA is pretty unique I think. And most of all I would like to show all these people that i can get somewhere in life. To be honest I hate getting like this over the internet, but ya thats my reason.

I know im pathetic and will probubly receive hate mail now but go easy, I was serious.

good luck to the rest of you who entered!

(im stunned lol.:eek::confused::eek:)

Last edited:
Even though I'm likely not to be chosen, I'm still eager to know who's going to own this beauty of an uke :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom