Going To Maui

Never been, want to go one day, but I wanted to wish you a happy trip and congrats to your niece on her wedding!

Been there 3 times... going back in December! Love me some Maui! Always swing by Mele... GREAT folks. Now have three Mele ukes. Favorite places? Breakfast at the Kehei cafe is great... very Maui. Sunrise Cafe in laHaina is special too... a nice little out of the way nook kind of place. Best burger? Hands down... Peggy Sue's in Kihei! Great snokeling on a trip put on my Trinity cruises out of LaHaina harbor... take the snorkeling day trip to Lanai... you won't regret it!

For a little adventure....Flyin Hawaiian ZipLine, located at the Tropical Fruit Plantation is hands down the best anywhere. 8 lines and longest is 3600 feet and you hit speeds up to 65mph. Awesome views of both sides of the Valley Isle!
Want to snorkel...I have been on a few boats but tried a new one....Alii Nui. You are treated like a King. They pick you up, take you there and bring you home. Boat is a 65' catamaran that holds 125 people but they ONLY take 40 people. Buffet breakfast, midday snacks, hot buffet lunch, Wine, Maui beer, Champagne, juices, water. There was tons of all food, never ran out of anything!! Most people ate seconds and the crew ate and took home the extras. There is scuba (extra charge) all equipment is provided...no extra charge, they give you towels & sunscreen. Plus, you get to sail back to the harbor. As they say...all you need is your bathing suit and sunglasses!!! They are not kidding!!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and well wishes. I have all your comments on my Iphone, so I'll be able to review them there.

Brad

Brad, I wish you were going in three weeks when we are going. I got one of your sopranos earlier this year and love it! I would recommend much of what others have said;
* Aloha mixed plate for really good eats in Lahina
* drive around the north end of the island - find the Olivine Pools in the Maui Revealed guide book

Have a great trip.

+1 on Aloha Mixed Plate. Very yummy local food.

Dang, missed out on the Olivine Pools and we were staying right in Kapalua too! Guess I'll have to make another trip back to Maui. lol

I go to Maui every year, I'm even buying a place in south Kihei for when the wife and i retire in 5-10 years. Until then we will visit twice a year and rent it out when we are not. In North Kihei there is a little old church that has a ukulele night. Thursday's at 7p, show up and introduce yourself to the leader, he'll give you a songbook, you sit down in the pews and you will be led through a wonderful evening of uke playing. I was cautious at first, since it is in a church, my first thought was that it my be religious based, but it is not, it is just a place for ukulele players to play together for two hours. The playing quality was excellent, 40+ quality ukuleles in a wonderful acoustic setting was amazing, many people sang along with the different songs, some people show up that don't even play, they say they love to sit in the back and listen or sing along. a great experience. I'm going back in October to get the condo ready to rent and i can't wait to go to that little old church and play my ukulele.

Nice little tid bit there Kent. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I'm in Maui.

Holy, 6 ukes since July 2011? Kent, I think you need to see a Doc for a bad case of UAS! lol

If you are going to Maui and it's Thursday evening head over to North Kihei, and stop into the little old church.

I've only been playing for a year, the date on my signature was wrong, i started playing in 2010. But i do have a bad case of UAS. But i know that you understand. Keep Strumming..........

I just checked and they have my favorite restaurant on Maui - ZIPPYS. Not the healthiest but man, love those heartburns from eating their chili!!

Top Bottom