How do you tag your bag/case?

badhabits

Reaction score
The lost MBU thread got me thinking. Do you ID your bags/cases, and how?

I've actually forgotten a bag on a plane once and only once (went back and got it, lesson learned), but never a uke, although I don't airplane travel with one all that much, just a few times a year (and it's usually just stuffed in my carry-on bag). When I brought my new Koaloha (in its case) home from Oahu last month it stayed close, and in hindsight I prob should have used one of those paper/elastic tags at the airline check-in counter. I keep a business card (also with home info) in each bag and case, and they all get one of these guys, just for fun.
image000000.jpg

Last edited:
Love you little Tiki guy! I laminate a business card, punch a hole in it and tie one on all my cases, right to the handle hardware. I'm retired so I've made up some colorful "business cards", so they stand out a little. Like you, when I travel by air, my uke isn't far from me and is usually the first "bag" I grab!

Good ideas. I agree that it is good to have an ID somewhere in the bag in the event that the outside tag gets removed. It is added safety.

I have round pet tags engraved with my contact info on all of my bags, often as zipper pulls if there’s a zipper. They’re small enough not to interfere with daily use, easy to read up close but hard at a distance, and unlikely to fade or tear.

A few of them (ie my bicycle pack) have emergency contact info on the back.

A few double with a card with my info inside, but in many bags there isn’t a good place to put one that is both readily findable and out of my way for general use.

Something like these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BZ6LFLG/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All my stuff is marked with a sticker for both hard and soft surfaces with only my mail address on it.

I got a rear bicycle light back that way :)

I am trying to convince one of my friends to put "Longboy" on my longneck soprano case but she wont even accept money. She used to do calligraphy and doesnt anymore. I would like that, though.

I keep photos and serial numbers of my ukuleles, but haven't tagged the cases in any way. They don't leave home, but I suppose it's still not a bad idea to at least stick something in the case anyway.

Or, maybe we should all have distinctive MBUs, which would make it easier to reunite us with the ukulele. How is that for a rationalization for buying a MBU? :ROFLMAO:

I am trying to convince one of my friends to put "Longboy" on my longneck soprano case but she wont even accept money. She used to do calligraphy and doesnt anymore. I would like that, though.
This reminds me of a road trip our cycling team did one time. We stopped into a fast food restaurant, Wendy's?, and the staff were all wearing t-shirts that simply said "THICK". One guy tried to buy one, but the manager kiboshed the deal.

This reminds me of a road trip our cycling team did one time. We stopped into a fast food restaurant, Wendy's?, and the staff were all wearing t-shirts that simply said "THICK". One guy tried to buy one, but the manager kiboshed the deal.
I hadn’t considered that maybe she thinks it’s perverted. Big if true. My dad has a way of calling things “-boy” like for example, a small piece of pizza would be a “smallboy” so that’s where it comes from. Interesting. Wild.

A plastic luggage tag on the handle and a card with my name, address, e-mail and phone number taped inside on the lid. I check my uke when I fly. I've never had a problem spotting it when I got where I was going.

I have a laminated business card with all my contact info in each of my uke, guitar, guilele, dulcimer, and fiddle cases.

I have round pet tags engraved with my contact info on all of my bags, often as zipper pulls if there’s a zipper. They’re small enough not to interfere with daily use, easy to read up close but hard at a distance, and unlikely to fade or tear.

A few of them (ie my bicycle pack) have emergency contact info on the back.

A few double with a card with my info inside, but in many bags there isn’t a good place to put one that is both readily findable and out of my way for general use.

Something like these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BZ6LFLG/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's a good idea. You can even get wooden tags if you want to try and match the uke inside. Might be hard to find a match for koa and exotic woods though.

When I move, I make tags with masking tape that has the ukulele and it’s serial number for each case so when I get to where I’m moving it’s easier to do inventory without opening the cases and risking cracks or anything.

But when I’m on trips, I have plastic card tags with my name and phone number that are pretty visible on the case handle. They’re held on with strong rubber bands that are meant for checked luggage that’s going to take a beating.

I like these Lalago Aluminum Alloy Tags I bought on Amazon. Comes in a set of 6, all different colors. Attaches with a steel wound wire with a screw together clasp.

Besides the durability of the tags, It also only shows your name in the slot. All of your other information is inside the tag. You have to open the clasp and remove the wire to get the card inside. Why is this good? Travel companies and Police recommend that your tag should not openly display your address or phone number. There have been numerous cases of crooks photographing luggage tags, especially of families traveling together. Then going to their home and robbing it because they know that no one will be home. They can use a reverse phone directory, if the phone number is for a land line, to get your address.

Lalago Aluminum Alloy Tag1.png Lalago Aluminum Alloy Tag2.png

I use one of these on my GigBag. I transfer the uke I'm going to play at a gig, a uke fest or at my uke club because it's easier to use than a hard case. If I travel overnight or longer, I have one on a fiberglass case I use. Especially if I fly. I also keep my name and contact info on a card inside the cases. If the luggage tag gets ripped off the airlines will look inside the case to try to find the owner's info.

I have a crazy idea. I would put an apple AirTag inside the uke case So you can track it if it gets separated from you. Sort of like Lo jack for your uke. We put one in our checked luggage and it gave tremendous piece of mind that the luggage arrived with us internationally.

I’m with Ken above on being concerned about name and address details being overly easy to see, well overly easy for the wrong person to see. Labels that I attach have minimal details visible on them, an enclosed label can have added detail as and when necessary. Contact details can also be left inside of a bag and a case.

Slightly different scenario, but I expect I won’t be the only one with a black Oahu case at a uke fest this weekend, so I printed a custom AirTag holder and tied it on with a bright green ribbon.

I shouldn’t have problems finding it in the cafeteria uke-pile, and it’s a bit less obnoxious than wrapping it with colour shifting “carbon fiber” vinyl

12CC1986-3FDB-4C71-93F7-1220D4361999.jpeg

I have a couple Oahu cases. The one I always bring to events had its handle come off (the glue melted and the handle just popped right off) and I replaced it with a braided paracord handle that’s neon pink. SUPER bright pink. But it’s got to be the only one like it in the world so it should make for easy ID if it ever goes missing.

Though I do really like the idea of putting an AirTag in the case compartment. If I get another job that involves a lot of travel, I’m going to do that.

Top Bottom