How Should I Reinforce Crack Where Headstock Meets Fretboard On Plastic Islander?

AnalogJ

Reaction score
DSCF3498.jpg

I just got this Islander off an EBay auction. You can see from the photo that there is potential weakness where the neck and fretboard meets the headstock. If you click on the photo, it will enlarge so you can see the cracked area in detail.

I assume I should reinforce this area? Or perhaps no.

If so, should I be looking for some sort of glue which is liquid enough to be able to drip into the cracked area?

Suggestions as to what to do here?

Last edited:
If the uke is working, there's no need to worry. Super glue works great for plastic uke repairs when they're necessary.

Also, what a pretty Islander you've got there. Nice color. Congratulations and have fun!

It does play, and plays fine. But you don't think I need to be proactive in any way here? To strengthen that area? BTW, the cracking is only visible on one side, the G string side.

And thanks on the color. It is pretty neat and, dare I say, happy.

Last edited:
It does play, and plays fine. But you don't think I need to be proactive in any way here? To strengthen that area? BTW, the cracking is only visible on one side, the G string side.

And thanks on the color. It is pretty neat and, dare I say, happy.

It looks like the separation is just the veneer on the headstock. No structural integrity issues.

Good to know. Thanks. It looks as though the fretboard has been putting pressure on the edge of the "veneer" and, as the nut of the fretboard angles against the top of the headstock, causing the veneer to push upward and crack. You're probably right that stress from the string tension is not likely to make that get worse.

Top Bottom