DreamerZz

Reaction score
the chord is

----5----
----1----
----2----
----2----

from Jake's "Let's Dance"

Its impossibly hard for me as the pink tends to not want to stretch that far :mad:

Make a Dm chord and hold you elbow out 10 inches from your rib cage....then try to extend you pinky out.. on a soprano...:)

It is fairly straightforward on a soprano, even with small hands. All it takes is practice. On a tenor, it is another story. It is really quite tricky. Someone with small hands is going to find it almost impossible in that position. If you move further up the fingerboard though, to say 7 7 6 10, it becomes much easier. However, you then get a chord of Gm.

The question is: why do you want to play this Dm chord? It is hard to play (on any uke) and is not needed very often. A similar sounding Dm chord is 2 5 5 5. This is a bit easier to play (1st finger on 2nd fret, 4th finger on 5 fret). Try it.

Last edited:
this song?

it seems very difficult. practice practice practice.

one thing i notice though is that he holds both the G string and the C string with his middle finger on the second fret and the E string with his index finger on the first fret. this frees up the ring finger allowing the pinky to stretch farther ;) give that a try.

if you're not trying to do all the fancy strumming and melodies just play an open Dm chord.

----0----
----1----
----2----
----2----

Hi DeamerZz

You can practice the *shape* by playing 5 5 4 8 (or even higher, like 7 7 6 11). These shape up the neck require less stretch. Once your hands can stretch, then yu can move then down to 3 3 2 6 and then eventually to 2 2 1 5.

I might use my index finger to hold two strings, as 2 2 1 1 then add the pinky for "5". That would give me more leverage.

Also, stand in front of a mirror and examine yur hand positions (left and right). Make sure you;re not contorting yourself. Your left wrist should be pretty straight (maybe bent up to 15 degrees; 30 degree bent is too much).Your left thumb should be at the center of the neck.

Keep in mind. You can harm yourself easily if you rush. Give your hand enough time to play this one.

Happy Pickin
Chief

Thanks for the responses guys!

and yeah the chord is from Let's Dance towards the beginning shortly after the introl

I guess Ill just stretch my fingers more using Chiefnodas suggestion (thanks) :l, Also its really hard to hold both G and C strings with just one finger (buzzing almost guarenteed)
I have a concert so its not quite as hard as the tenor

Top Bottom