I have a Mike Pereira custom concert uke. What tenor should I buy?

ATLjon

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums, but I've been on the site for quite a while. Here's my pickle:

I have a Mike Pereira custom concert. I've had it for nine years, and it's amazing. I want nothing more out of a ukulele. But now I need to add a tenor to my burgeoning collection. What tenor should I buy that will make me feel like it's on the same level as the MP without busting my budget of around $250. You're laughing at me already? I get it. I'll see myself out. ...

At this price range, your best bet is Ohana, Kala or Mainland Ukes. Talk to Mims at mimsuke.com or Mike at Ukerepublic.com. They carry a number of Ukes around your price point. I am not sure if it will be MP quality. But these brands offer decent choices for your budget.
And welcome to the forum.

I have an MP tenor, not much compares to it. I suggest an Ohana TK70-R.
Rosewood laminate with a solid spruce top. I play one and can’t believe it’s quality for a modest price.

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums, but I've been on the site for quite a while. Here's my pickle:

I have a Mike Pereira custom concert. I've had it for nine years, and it's amazing. I want nothing more out of a ukulele. But now I need to add a tenor to my burgeoning collection. What tenor should I buy that will make me feel like it's on the same level as the MP without busting my budget of around $250. You're laughing at me already? I get it. I'll see myself out. ...

If you are in the ATL, swing by and check out UkeRepublic in Austell. He’s not too far off I-20.

At this price range, your best bet is Ohana, Kala or Mainland Ukes. Talk to Mims at mimsuke.com or Mike at Ukerepublic.com. They carry a number of Ukes around your price point. I am not sure if it will be MP quality. But these brands offer decent choices for your budget.
And welcome to the forum.

If you are in the ATL, swing by and check out UkeRepublic in Austell. He’s not too far off I-20.

I have an MP tenor, not much compares to it. I suggest an Ohana TK70-R.
Rosewood laminate with a solid spruce top. I play one and can’t believe it’s quality for a modest price.

Thanks for all the input. I'll definitely check out the Ohana, and I know I need to swing by UkeRepublic; there's really no excuse for me to not have checked it out by now!

You already know what I am going to say.............anything of lesser tonal quality will be a huge dissappointment. Sorry but if you are use to playing and listening to your MP for 9 years a $250.00 uke will not cut it. Not even remotely close.

Unless you have a very specific need for a tenor just enjoy your MP. Buyers remorse is real, ask me how I know.

Last edited:
You will sound the same on a $250 tenor as a $2500 tenor. I recommend a used Kala all-mahogany tenor. They are consistently good instruments. Good luck! I gifted my beautiful MP Tenor to a good friend a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
Unless you're looking for a beater, increase your budget to $400 so that you can have access to more instruments with solid tops. Then buy something like a cedar-topped Kala or a mahogany Mainland or Pono or scour the used marketplaces here on UU and over at Flea Market Music and buy the first Romero Creations tenor (or ukulele of similar quality) you find.

if you need to stay around $250, the only real option I can think of is maybe a Mainland tenor. Uke Republic has one listed right now for $255.95.

Last edited:
Top Bottom