Kamoa Carbon Fiber Uke Cases - Review? Thoughts?

Ron, you mention that the Kamoa cases are a tiny bit big for the Moore Bettah body. Does the slotted headstock fit okay? I like the case Chuck sent me but I'm looking for something sturdier as I do play out with it and want as much protection as I can get for my baby! I was thinking Ameritage for awhile and then Kamoa...if the Chinese cases Chuck got are similar to the Kamoa, at $50 cheaper that might be the winner!

Chris
Length wasn't an issue it was the width of the body where there was play. A couple of microfiber towels would fill the gaps nicely and add even more protection IMHO.

Ron, you mention that the Kamoa cases are a tiny bit big for the Moore Bettah body. Does the slotted headstock fit okay? I like the case Chuck sent me but I'm looking for something sturdier as I do play out with it and want as much protection as I can get for my baby! I was thinking Ameritage for awhile and then Kamoa...if the Chinese cases Chuck got are similar to the Kamoa, at $50 cheaper that might be the winner!

I use an Ameritage Silver for both my slot headed MB tenor and my Kanile'a tenor, they fit perfectly, I love them. They may be a little heavier than other cases but I prefer the extra security and humidity seal they provide. I might be wrong but the Komoa type seem more like better versions of lightweight plastic gig cases I have for my electric guitars,(Gator,SKB) for those times you want to carry something lighter than their standard hard cases around town.

I think I agree with you Bob. If I were to drop my uke from the top of a building (or the loading ramp of a plane) I would feel much safer doing it with an Ameritage. Ameritage has the suspension system where the uke has more "crumple zone" room than the formed cases. If the fiberglass case were to crumple even slightly, I think it would cause damage to the uke. The interesting thing I've found on the Ameritage case is that there is a little inner ring of padding that holds the smaller body of the MB snugly but can be compressed to that the larger body ukes fit well too.

Then again, I'm not lugging my uke to Hawai'i five times a year like Staci! : )

I think I agree with you Bob. If I were to drop my uke from the top of a building (or the loading ramp of a plane) I would feel much safer doing it with an Ameritage.

Then again, I'm not lugging my uke to Hawai'i five times a year like Staci! : )

Yep. I would agree on the protection factor. But I weighed my uke in the Ameritage and it was about ten pounds. In a Kamaka case it was about five. And this feels lighter than the Kamaka one - though I will weigh it at home.

I travel about twenty times a year with my uke (alas, only five or six of those trips are to Hawaii), so every pound counts. And i also take it to class each week as well so i dont need Hummer protection then. Plus, I like the freedom of the backpack straps on the Kamoa, and yet I still get better protection than on a gig bag. It isn't for everyone, but the Kamoa is the perfect case for me. I like my Ameritage but I will probably never use it again unless I ship, or heaven forbid, check my uke. I am already considering saving up for a red Kamoa for my Kanilea, and if my Pineapple Sunday would fit the concert or tenor size, I would save up for a yellow one for it.

Thanks for the input everyone! Think I'll look at the Ameritage silver series cases instead...I'm looking for lots of protection and I don't mind the weight (when I travel I just take my Flea).

Top Bottom