• Set 1

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Set 2

Votes: 41 45.6%
  • Set 3

Votes: 28 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I vote set 3. But I'm a sucker for that figure of wood.

I was reading my Moore Bettah book last night. Chuck would probably say set 1 would sound better -- less curl = better sound.

#2, assuming there is little acoustic differences between the three choices. The Sapwood will visually integrate and connect the spruce into the whole.

I too like #1 for it's uniformity. Very rich and classy looking. #3 looks to me like two pieces weren't bookmatched perfectly. #2, I just don't like sapwood.

I'm with mountain goat. Sweet color tone and curl there.

#1 does have a strong appeal and is less seen on instruments. The curl/pomelle looks just a little to subtle for me, maybe it would finish much nicer. Would sure like to that wood on a finished instrument some day.

Josh Rieck.
http://jrieck.com

I was drawn to the sound of Josh's ukes after I heard this. (It was easy on the eyes too ;)).
https://vimeo.com/148708113

]

Wow that use sounds great. It just shows us there's a lot good builders out there. I would love to try them all but I will vicariously play them through you Hodge! Thanks for spending your time and money on a fun adventure! 😃

I'm a sucker for sapwood so it's number 2 for me.

Oh, Hodge, you are making this all too complicated. Just have three ukuleles made and the variety will send you into delight! 8 0!!!

But I do think the variety of dots and grain lines make #1 my favorite. ; )

I voted #2.

But out of curiosity, how can you tell that #1 has the best tone just by looking at it? (I'm sure there's a very solid reason here.)

It's just a guess but after handling thousands of sets of koa you get a knack for using visual clues as to what a fished instrument will sound like using that wood. After seeing Doc's latest pic of what #1 would look like under finish then I'm not so sure any more. In my experience, koa with black or very dark stripes like that shown in #2 can often be very dense and heavy, resulting in a tighter, less open sound. For me, color alone is often a good indicator with lighter color koa being lighter in weight. Physical inspection though is more important. (For best response, a good tone wood will be both stiff and light.) But we're talking about a very small degree of difference. I good builder should be able to build a good sounding uke with almost any koa but the approach and effort required to do so may be different.
Below is a good example of what I'm taking about. These two sets of koa couldn't be more different in their tonal qualities. I would much prefer to work with the koa on the left than that on the right. When ordering an uke though, most people are going to choose the koa with the most visual impact.

Attachments

• koas.jpg
    koas.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 46
It's just a guess but after handling thousands of sets of koa you get a knack for using visual clues as to what a fished instrument will sound like using that wood. After seeing Doc's latest pic of what #1 would look like under finish then I'm not so sure any more. In my experience, koa with black or very dark stripes like that shown in #2 can often be very dense and heavy, resulting in a tighter, less open sound. For me, color alone is often a good indicator with lighter color koa being lighter in weight. Physical inspection though is more important. (For best response, a good tone wood will be both stiff and light.) But we're talking about a very small degree of difference. I good builder should be able to build a good sounding uke with almost any koa but the approach and effort required to do so may be different.
Below is a good example of what I'm taking about. These two sets of koa couldn't be more different in their tonal qualities. I would much prefer to work with the koa on the left than that on the right. When ordering an uke though, most people are going to choose the koa with the most visual impact.

I love to hear a lutheir's input on this stuff. Would #2 be suitable for back and sides? Would it be even preferable for back and sides? Or is option #1 better all around?

#1 does have a strong appeal and is less seen on instruments. The curl/pomelle looks just a little to subtle for me, maybe it would finish much nicer. Would sure like to that wood on a finished instrument some day.

It's definitely subtle. I was thinking that paired with a light and uniform spruce top, the honey and curl would stand out more. Any of them are going to be beautiful, though. I was close to loving #3, but the discordance in grain and ribbon on the two sides is playing with my mind a little...but I'm weird like that. I tend to lean toward bookends and/or simple uniformity. Multiple patterns or crazy grain isn't my thing, usually.

Can't wait to see and hear how it all comes out!

Wow that use sounds great. It just shows us there's a lot good builders out there. I would love to try them all but I will vicariously play them through you Hodge! Thanks for spending your time and money on a fun adventure! ��

I agree with you Daniel...Hodge does a lot for us poor uke folks...haha
I got to meet Josh at the Ukulele Guild of Hawaii show last Nov. he is a great guy and loves his work...he is a young person but been building forever already....very humble and hard working...:) he also good friends with Rollo Scheurenbrand(both from South Dakota) you got to come out to the Guild show one of these years...but Chuck may not be there for another 10 years.....:)

btw I like set #1 just because Chuck says he thinks it will have better tone..who can make an argument with that..IMO

congrats Hodge..be watching for updates....

Last edited:
I love to hear a lutheir's input on this stuff. Would #2 be suitable for back and sides? Would it be even preferable for back and sides? Or is option #1 better all around?

Any of those choices would make a good uke in the right hands. After seeing Doc's second photo of what #1 would look like under a finish I'm a little stumped as I haven't run across koa like that very often. This is where physical inspection comes into play. Remember, the best sounding wood within any given species will generally be light, stiff and have parallel grain. When I voted for #1 it was based strictly on sound but everything is a compromise with stringed instruments and I usually try to find a balance of form and function. For looks, #2 or #3 would get my vote. Doc wasn't very clear on what he was looking for when posing the question of what he was looking for. In the end a builder can only make his best guess based on his experience with a particular wood as to how it will sound, but that's all it really is, a guess. For looks, choose anything that excites you. Again, it will almost always be a compromise.
In the second example of the koa I showed you in my last post, that koa was so dense that it actually threw up a couple of sparks during resawing. Running it through the drum sander just burns it. I have paired it with a spruce top and I've had very good results with it though. I will never build a full uke from it though.

Chuck, thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge. That koa throwing sparks is seriously hard. Originally, I was thinking this poll would just be a beauty contest between the three choices offered. But, I appreciate the discussion on koa wood properties and potential sound consequences.

Len and Dan, I figure it's worth pushing retirement out a little while longer for a good uke. ;)

Craig, it sure would be nice to see all 3 sets under finish. But, at least I'll definitely see one.

Last edited:
Chuck, thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge. That koa throwing sparks is seriously hard. Originally, I was thinking this poll would just be a beauty contest between the three choices offered. But, I appreciate the discussion on koa wood properties and potential sound consequences.

I had some mineral content in it, probably silica, maybe from a time during high volcanic activity.

#3 for me, then #1 as I'm not a big fan of sap wood markings in this case. Builder input would steer me the most. Are you going all Koa? Or different top. Great I site from Chucks comments. Can't wait to see what you finally decide upon as a finished product and of course hear it

#3 for me, then #1 as I'm not a big fan of sap wood markings in this case. Builder input would steer me the most. Are you going all Koa? Or different top. Great I site from Chucks comments. Can't wait to see what you finally decide upon as a finished product and of course hear it

Top will be spruce, only the back and sides will be koa. I'll keep you posted on the uke's progress.

Top Bottom