Light colored soundboard that takes dye well?

TheDudeAbides

Reaction score
I'm planning my next build and the recipient has requested a colorful Uke, and I don't want to paint it. I figure maple will work well for sides/back, but I'm unsure about a light colored wood that stains well for the soundboard. Spruce comes to mind, but most pine I've seen stained looks terrible, though maybe straight grained quartered spruce takes dyes/stains evenly?

What would you recommend for a soundboard that is destined to be colored with a dye or stain?

Spruce is notorious for not taking stains or dyes well. It goes very blotchy unless you seal it with shellac first, and even then it might not be ideal. An option might be to use a coloured laquer, or another wood such as mahogany which does dye well.

Mahogany is a good call. What about western red cedar? Great for soundboards and stains well. Just try and find a lighter coloured piece.

Sorry! I misread the response.

The other thing to take into consideration is the sound. Spruce on Maple may sound too bright for most people. I did a Spruce on White Ash once because of the colors, but was unbearably bright to my ears. The Mahogany or Cedar should sound much better as well as adding a nice contrast to the back and sides, in my opinion.

I'm not sure that I would be so quick to rule out paint. There are a lot of painted ukuleles out there that your creation will be judged against.

I made a uke out of padauk some years ago and that was quite colourful... without having to dye it.

Spruce is notorious for not taking stains or dyes well. It goes very blotchy unless you seal it with shellac first, and even then it might not be ideal. An option might be to use a coloured laquer, or another wood such as mahogany which does dye well.
I am by no means set on spruce, that was just my 1st thought for a light colored wood.

Mahogany would dye well, but I'm concerned it'd be too dark for some of the colors the boss is currently debating(eg: yellow, red, green).

This would be easier if the final color was decided.

The other thing to take into consideration is the sound. Spruce on Maple may sound too bright for most people. I did a Spruce on White Ash once because of the colors, but was unbearably bright to my ears. The Mahogany or Cedar should sound much better as well as adding a nice contrast to the back and sides, in my opinion.
Will keep that in mind.

Nothing's set in stone yet, so the sides don't have to maple either. As for contrast the colors should cover that which is why I'm looking for light colored woods that will take brighter colors well.

I'm not sure that I would be so quick to rule out paint. There are a lot of painted ukuleles out there that your creation will be judged against.
I can live with the judgement 😉

I just really hate painting things I build out of wood. Whether it's furniture or Ukes. It's just a personal preference.

I made a uke out of padauk some years ago and that was quite colourful... without having to dye it.

That is a beautiful build!

Unfortunately I need brighter colors than I can find in nature for this one.

I would consider using Alaska yellow cedar or Port Orford cedar. I have used both a lot, and they make excellent sound boards.
Brad
You read my mind! Looking ng at wood suppliers online this afternoon I found a couple tone wood sites that have some very nice port orford soundboards that are a very light color, some with a moderate amount of curl too that would likelybe beautiful with the dye too.

There have been a lot of good suggestions, but are somewhat difficult to find nice straight grained boards for an Uke.

Still shopping though, but port orford is definitely a top contender at the moment

One other advantage to either POC or AYC is that they are very stable with regard to humidity changes. And with my building on Kauai, that is a big consideration for me.

Top Bottom