My first Uke

Reaction score
Good evening
I am a newby to the site from Australia.
I have built several guitars over the years but this is my first Uke.
It is my interpretation of a Harp Ukulele (Tenor).
Made from scraps of Australian Blackwood (Acacia) and Australian Maple (Flindersia pimentalis) that I had lying around.
It has whet my appetite, and am currently building a few standard Tenors and an archtop Tenor.
Please be gentle on me and kindest regards.... David

Attachments

• 20240401_072745.jpg
    20240401_072745.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20240401_072804.jpg
    20240401_072804.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 20240402_075005.jpg
    20240402_075005.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 54
That's a really cool looking uke. I'd love to hear how it sounds. Welcome and have fun!

Good evening
I am a newby to the site from Australia.
I have built several guitars over the years but this is my first Uke.
It is my interpretation of a Harp Ukulele (Tenor).
Made from scraps of Australian Blackwood (Acacia) and Australian Maple (Flindersia pimentalis) that I had lying around.
It has whet my appetite, and am currently building a few standard Tenors and an archtop Tenor.
Please be gentle on me and kindest regards.... David
Wow, wow and wow! This looks so nice! I have a little harp and several ukes, and I have seen several Harp ukuleles coming along online, but this one is indeed something else! I am very curious about the sound…

Beautiful harp ‘ukulele! Greetings from Florida.

Visually, your design succeeds. I especially love the cubist aesthetic of the harp elements and incorporation of the elongate headstock.

I hope you’ll continue to share your work here. I look forward to seeing your archtop ‘ukulele.

Welcome to UU, David!

That's a really attractive harp ukulele you've built. I hope we'll see more of your builds!

Amazing 😊I've never seen anything like that. Is it possible to share a video showing how you play it and how it sounds? I'm so curious 🌸
Rosalie
To be brutally honest with you, I can't play a note.
I own about 15 guitars and am making several ukes but as I said, I can't play any of them.
I am a retired landscape architect so I am more interested in the design. I play around a lot with bracing patterns etc.
Fortunately I have several friends/brothers who play so I keep them supplied with new toys.
About the sound, the feedback I have received has been very favourable.
Kind regards.... David

Beautiful harp ‘ukulele! Greetings from Florida.

Visually, your design succeeds. I especially love the cubist aesthetic of the harp elements and incorporation of the elongate headstock.

I hope you’ll continue to share your work here. I look forward to seeing your archtop ‘ukulele.
Bacchettadavid.
I do not like the look of traditional harp/ukuleles/guitars as to me they always look out of balance/top heavy.
I was also trying to accentuate the look of the "arm" (?) of a harp being separate from the body.
I also do not like that the two bodies are quite separate in the tradtional harp/ukuleles.
In my design I joined the two bodies at the top of the headpiece using two carbon fibre rods and tried to make the arm of the harp a feature. Refer the attached photo.
I know that this is against the rules but you never get anwhere without breaking them.
Kind regards.... David

Attachments

• 20240401_084519.jpg
    20240401_084519.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 29
Rosalie
To be brutally honest with you, I can't play a note.
I own about 15 guitars and am making several ukes but as I said, I can't play any of them.
I am a retired landscape architect so I am more interested in the design. I play around a lot with bracing patterns etc.
Fortunately I have several friends/brothers who play so I keep them supplied with new toys.
About the sound, the feedback I have received has been very favourable.
Kind regards.... David
Oh wow they must love trying out your creations . It sure looks beautiful 😍

My second uke. It is an archtop carved out of western red cedar (top) and Queensland maple (Flindersia pimentalis) back and sides.
Tailpiece and bridge are ebony. The original top and back (one piece) wood was 19mm thick so there is a lot more relief than the photos show.
I left the top quite thick (3.5 approx) but with no bracing top and back. I tune it to d g b e tuning as to my ears most archtops (guitars that I have ) are a bit "toppy" , The sound is very strong and balanced.
Kind regards.... David

Attachments

• 20240526_162743.jpg
    20240526_162743.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240526_162815.jpg
    20240526_162815.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240526_162912.jpg
    20240526_162912.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 19
My second uke. It is an archtop carved out of western red cedar (top) and Queensland maple (Flindersia pimentalis) back and sides.
Tailpiece and bridge are ebony. The original top and back (one piece) wood was 19mm thick so there is a lot more relief than the photos show.
I left the top quite thick (3.5 approx) but with no bracing top and back. I tune it to d g b e tuning as to my ears most archtops (guitars that I have ) are a bit "toppy" , The sound is very strong and balanced.
Kind regards.... David
I ADORE your second instrument! Bravo!

I love the unified color scheme with the dark binding on the honey colored wood. Even the tuners echo the theme. Beautiful!

Top Bottom