My ukulele goes out of tune

Klaudia

Reaction score
Hello, I bought ukulele four months ago and since that time it goes out of tune every 20 minutes. Do you have any idea how to solve my issue? For tunining my ukulele I used "tunefor ukulele tuner" app.

If the tuning changes after 20 minutes, then the likely issue is somehow the strings are slipping. This can often be due to the tuners being loose or the string being mounted poorly on the tuner. Is it on a certain string or all of them?

BTW, an electronic clip on tuner is an accessory worth buying.

As Rainbow21 said, it's probably the string(s). After four months, they should be stretched out and holding tune.

Recently there was a reference in a post to the strings slipping if they have too many windings around the tuner post. Especially if they have started a second layer of string over the first. It's a simple fix: unwind the string, pull more of the string through the post hole. Re-secure the string as you normally do. It doesn't need more that 3 windings around the post to hold.

If it's not the strings, it could be the tuners that are slipping. Especially if they are friction tuners and not tight enough in the hole. Or, the knots at the bridge could still be slowly slipping. It's highly unlikely after 4 months, but an outside posibility.

If they are friction tuners, use a small screwdriver to tighten the screw a bit and see if that helps

If they are friction tuners, use a small screwdriver to tighten the screw a bit and see if that helps

Good call on the friction tuners. As humidity levels fluctuate the headstock swells or shrinks and the tuners won’t hold.

If the strings are overlapped and all bunched up on the tuner posts that can be a cause as well.

I often have really bad look with friction tuners, even nice ones, and if it's a cheap uke that might make it even more annoying to deal with.

Also, it might be worth knowing how much it slips out of tune every 20 minutes of playing?
Ukulele is not like a digital piano where once you tune, it magically stays in perfect tune. Every moment, there are fluctuations which may cause small variations in tuning.

Is it going significantly out of tune, or are you just picking up the tiny fluctuations using a sensitive tuner?

Hello, I bought ukulele four months ago and since that time it goes out of tune every 20 minutes. Do you have any idea how to solve my issue? For tunining my ukulele I used "tunefor ukulele tuner" app.
If mechanically the string tension can cause the tuners to wind down then there is most likely a screw to tighten (especially true for friction tuners can happen with UPTs as well). If you have nylon strings with large temp and humidity variation then it is to be expected and will be worse when strings are new. Click a few pics of the tuners or post a link to the model you have.

All of the above is true. Strings naturally stretch, and the amount of playing can have as much an effect as string age. Strings can “lengthen“as knots tighten up or windings around the tuning posts get tighter. Some tuning pegs can be loose and need tightening—or perhaps replacement. If you can’t tell whether the tuning pegs have sufficient hold or whether the knots are still loose you’ll want to seek someone local with more experience or post pics/video here. All of these have been mentioned.
Weather can also have an effect. Moving the ‘ukulele from a hot environment to a much cooler one can affect the tuning. Moving an ‘ukulele from strong warm sunshine to a shadier spot can have an effect.
Don’t be discouraged. This is a solvable problem. Keep playing!

It's not uncommon, over the course of a 1-2 hour group jam session or performance to do a little fine tuning. However, your ukulele shouldn't be going significantly out of tune. What brand of ukulele and tuners do you have? Do you have a decent guitar shop nearby with a technician that could look at your tuners for you if you can't figure out the problem on your own?

I have one ukulele that had friction tuners, and I struggled with it staying in tune. Not a high end ukulele, but I like it, so I took it in to get geared tuners. This was pre-pandemic, so things probably cost more now, but the no-name geared tuners didn't cost much, and they work just fine. The ukulele went from one that wasn't that much fun to play to being enjoyable to play now. So, if you have friction tuners that are the problem for you, it might be worth looking into what the current cost would be to get replacement geared tuners.

But all the other above suggestions are good to look into, too, of course.

Klaudia, did you ever try any of these ideas? Just curious.

Some people asked me how long it took to tune my 12 string guitar, to which I replied: "about twice as long as it takes me to tune my 6 string"...
Just remember: "you can tune a ukulele, but you can't tuna fish"...

Top Bottom