One super high-end uke or two regular high-quality ukes?

Answering the original question, I'd choose whichever would get you to play more. If you'd be afraid to play the high-end custom for fear of damage or wear, I'd stick with the others. If forced, I'd probably choose the two quality ukes over the one ultra, because I like variety and the flexibility of having more than one tuning available all the time.

Then I'd try to save to add the ultra later. :^)

Thanks for this comparison. When you listen, it's only a matter of personal preference. They both sound good and similar in many ways. This was the point that I was making about the person playing the uke. So one uke is 1200 and the other 3700. Does anyone hear a 2500 dollar difference?

I would not expect a linear difference in terms of tone. The more expensive ukulele may have features that appeal to a particular person, making that ukulele the more desirable one for that person. Choice and quality of the wood, craftsmanship, feel, etc. There are many factors to an instrument. Just because a given ukulele is more expensive is no guarantee that it will necessarily appeal to everybody as a justification for its existence and price.

Tony

Hmm, I don't see that original post by Johnson.

In any case, Johnson, you're not getting the fight you are spoiling for. You probably lead a very disciplined life, with no extraneous stuff and a tight control on spending. Good luck to you.

An addiction? Maybe, but it's not one that will kill me if I lose my job and can't buy another uke.

Evidently I took so long typing my reply (internet distractions) that I quoted him after he reconsidered his post.

Play what you like, like what you play.

Ignore the opinions of people who tell you that you only need one instrument. That may work for them, but they aren't you. If collecting brings you pleasure and you can afford it, then do it.

Ignore the opinions of people who tell you that the cost is not justified by quality. If it's worth it to you, for whatever reason, then it's justified.

Andy, it sounds like you're wise enough to know that a new uke won't make you a better player, won't make you smell better, won't win you new friends. The only questions that really matter are: will it make you happy and can you afford it? Nobody on this thread can answer those questions for you.

If it's a lifetime instrument, you will look back years from now and wonder why you struggled so much. If it ends up being a mistake, you can resell and the few dollars you lose will be a valuable lesson.

There is also the middle ground, which is to buy it, see if it floats your boat, and send it back if it doesn't. Yes, you'll be out the shipping costs, but that's small stuff in comparison.

Quality is always worth more to me than quantity. If I don't have the funds to purchase an instrument that takes my fancy, I'll wait until I do instead of settling for something that is just "nice" and there are a lot of nice Ukes out there. I also don't treat my Ukes like delicate artefacts. I take them to all my playing venues, I travel with them. I let my friends play them. I do however take very good care of them maintenance wise. That Hive is in the "pricey" zone for me personally but OMG, it sure looks like it is worth every penny. I'd be surprised if you would have any buyers regret if you purchased it.

NUD to come soon on Bella ... but now I feel a little bloated on Ukes ... one really great Uke will do that ... make the others somewhat redundant EVEN THOUGH I love each of the other ones and they are so great.

1 awesome Uke. Then in six months ... um, get another one ... lol.

One thing I find interesting about discussing the cost of an instrument is that certain types of instruments seem "worthy" of high cost, while others generally do not. As an example, when I was growing up (assuming I ever really did...), guitars were largely considered little more than toys. If a violin cost many thousands of dollars, nobody blinked an eye. But if a guitar cost much over a hundred or so, it was considered a pretty dumb purchase. Over time, guitars have become more accepted as being worth at least a few hundred or even a thousand or so, but paying more than a hundred for a ukulele can be unthinkable to many folks.

In the acoustic guitar forum, I received many snide remarks about my ukulele purchases. Remembering the cultural attitude toward guitars in fairly recent history, the situation reminds me of how waves of immigrants treat the following waves. The Italians got to the US largely before the Irish, so when the Irish came along, they were treated badly and got the crappy jobs. I few Vietnamese folks I have worked with have said the same about how those who are already settled here treat the newcomers.

So I suppose that is just human nature. To me, the ukulele is a very "real" instrument. Listen to the likes of Daniel Ho or Jake Shimabukuro or many other accomplished players if anyone has any doubts. However, even here in the ukulele forums, I have read enough of the sentiment that seems to indicate that the ukulele is a fun toy, but it is a waste of money to buy a really good one at a price commensurate with the workmanship. So this cultural conditioning seems to be really deep-seated. I am not sure that this will change with the ukulele as it has slowly been changing with the guitar.

Just something to think about. If ukulele players don't consider the ukulele a serious enough instrument to invest in, who else will?

I don't believe everybody should run out and spend their savings on an expensive ukulele, just as not every guitar or violin player would do that. However, with those instruments, even those who don't spend that will realize that it is a valid thing to do because these are considered "real" instruments and not mere toys.

Tony

Tony: you're absolutely right. David Foster recently called the ukulele a toy on the TV show Asia's Got a Talent.

Just think of all the cocaine you could buy with that money?!?! Just kidding but seriously at least this way you're buying something you love, something you'll play, and not something which will be gone in a flash (gambling/ drugs/ drinking/ etc). If you can afford it, I say go for it..... hmmm I should probably practice this Quality over Quantity mantra myself.

Top Bottom