RIP Russ Morin, Big Rusty Ukuleles

scdano

Reaction score
Russ Morin, builder of Big Rusty Ukuleles, passed away this morning after a two year battle with cancer. He almost finished his last build, a "dumpster uke" of reclaimed mahogany and fir top from a local house restoration, about a month ago. When his energy waned and he went on oxygen, I had the honor of completing (thicknessing the headstock, installing the tuners and blending the finish) the uke for him. He was a wonderful man, a talented musician and luthier and I'll always be grateful for his guidance and friendship. As for this forum, I think he was a frequent visitor. Just not really a participant. I also know he was a big fan of Jon Duncan (hippydribble). Although rustic, Russ's reso ukes are some of the most soulful, unique ukes I've played and I'm convinced that Russ will live on in his instruments. Peace
russ_n.jpg

This is sad but uplifting. Les Reitfors died with work outstanding and angry clients. Well done for supporting Russ and helping him fulfil his obligations. There ought to be a medal for this sort of thing....

I'm sorry for your loss. I've just said a little prayer thanking God for friends in our lives. You were blessed to have one another, and he especially to have you at the end. You did well.

So sorry to hear of Russ's passing....Had the opportunity to meet him several years back......beautiful song/tribute hippie dribble...thank you.....

Sorry to hear that. I've seen his ukes on Youtube before and always liked the sound. I'm sure his last one will be another great instrument

A gorgeous tribute. A beautiful voice singing its beautiful song. Thank you for sharing this.

Even though I never knew him...

I am a bit choked up and at a loss for words, so please, pardon me while I second what turtledrum said.

Well done Jon. :shaka:

Thanks Jon, that was beautiful.

Thankyou for this thread, brother. I am jealous that you knew Russ so well as a friend. Ours was an email/video friendship, but I look forward to meeting him on the other side of the river. It's fantastic that you were able to help Russ complete his last instrument.That is a precious thing.

Thanks for the kind words and for the amazing video tribute to Russ, Jon. I'll finish stringing
and setting up the uke this weekend, then I'll post some pictures on this thread. A local Piedmont
Blues player, J. Michael King, will play it at Russ's memorial service next Saturday and then
it will go to it's new home with Russ's nephew.

Thanks for the kind words and for the amazing video tribute to Russ, Jon. I'll finish stringing
and setting up the uke this weekend, then I'll post some pictures on this thread. A local Piedmont
Blues player, J. Michael King, will play it at Russ's memorial service next Saturday and then
it will go to it's new home with Russ's nephew.
Can't wait to see it mate.

Big Rusty # 29 Tenor with a reclaimed fir top from a door frame, mahogany back, sides and neck from an old baseboard and dogwood fingerboard from a local ice storm casualty.
russ6.jpgruss0.jpgruss4.jpg

Don't think I have ever seen a fretboard made from dogwood, but considering its hardness, it would make fine fretboards. Do you know how to identify a dogwood tree? By its bark of course...

Gorgeous board. Gorgeous top. It's got Russ's stamp all over it. Salvaged woods. Perfect. Russ's nephew is blessed.

Top Bottom