Sad to say, but I'm dissapointed with Makala dolphins latley.

never played a dolphin but I have played their comparable sister ukes, the little mahalos. I confess I've noticed similar things in quality decline. The first 2 I bought back in early 2006 were fabulous. I still play them and they still sound great. Tuners work a treat. Action is fine. Even the intonation is pretty acceptable. I have bought several to give away as presents in the past year though, and have been terribly disappointed in what seems a very obvious deterioration in the quality control surrounding their production. Guess it's the familiar story of economic principles re demand and supply...

But, again, like others have said, if one is buying a $30 instrument expecting it to be a great player, one needs to look elsewhere. Most plastic kids toys cost more than that, letr's face it. It is what it is. Save some cash and buy a better quality uke would be my advice.

Makala Dolphins serve many purposes...

Sooooo... that being said... I usually do a nut, sometimes saddle adjustment, and for an extra $5 throw some Aquilas on it. And tah-dah... a functional, playable, cheap ukulele, that can withstand a beating.

I bought a dolphin from Mim and watched her set it up for me. I think this is key to consistently getting an instrument you know you can play. I think everyone knows Mim rocks, but watching her take the time to setup a dolphin, when you know she isn't making much on it, makes you really appreciate it. I like the dolphin better than the Kala Kiwi that we have, which was also setup (by MGM). So I think there are probably gems to be had right of the box, but buying from someone who takes the time to ensure what you are buying isn't trashed out of the box makes a huge difference.

I wanted to really like mine, but am having a reoccuring problem with the C-string tuner. The worm gear was turning about a quarter or a little more before it started turning the little sprocket gear. I called Kala and they sent me a new tuning machine. I installed it about three weeks ago and now the new one is slipping too. May have to order some tuning pegs from Elderly.

So I didn't pay attention to thus thread and I got a Dolphin to take to the beach on vacation. I couldn't find any Aquilas locally so I put Martins on it. Sounds and plays great except for buzzing when I fret the first on all strings. Open and any other fret is great, but fretting the first buzzes.

So I didn't pay attention to thus thread and I got a Dolphin to take to the beach on vacation. I couldn't find any Aquilas locally so I put Martins on it. Sounds and plays great except for buzzing when I fret the first on all strings. Open and any other fret is great, but fretting the first buzzes.

You might try taking just a little height off the second fret - but only a little! Actually, check first and make sure the fret got seated all the way.

Better to do a full setup with fret level, but that gets a little involved. Not too difficult if you are patient, but more than I care to describe this evening. :)

Top Bottom