String recommendatio for Flea soprano

Just to be clear, I'm asking for comparisons among brands of fluorocarbon strings.
I already know I prefer those to nylons / Nylguts / etc.

I do prefer fluoros as well. I found Fremont Blacklines and Martin M600s to be very similar, but the Martins are punchier, the Fremonts have more "ping"--the best I can describe. Worth BMs are very nice, but I found the A string to not be very strong in volume. LoPrinzis I played very briefly but were very balanced, good for strumming over picking. Living Waters are so far my favorite on my concert uke, I haven't tried them on a soprano. I have them strung with a low G Fremont Soloist string, and they sound good together, rather tenor-y, but I am not sure how LWs would sound on a soprano. I like Martins and have them on both of my sopranos because they have a classic soprano sound, at least to my ears, are inexpensive and easily found. That's why I made that suggestion earlier in the thread.

That said, the OP was asking a different question from your own, so folks making comparisons were doing so considering strings that the OP already tried. Perhaps if you want more answers to your question, you can start a new post?

Just to be clear, I'm asking for comparisons among brands of fluorocarbon strings.
I already know I prefer those to nylons / Nylguts / etc.

I've tried Worth both clear and brown on different ukes (my two Risa uke's came with Worth brown) and also pyramid carbon which are the default on Bruko. I find the Worth clear and Living Water very similar with Living Water having a slight edge - a little more mellow. The pyramids are very bright, some would say harsh but I quite like them for their brightness. They seem to suit the type of song I like to sing, mainly trad folk. When the time comes to change the strings on my Brukos, I will go for living water, though. The Worth brown are harder to judge because the Risas are solid body electric so a comparison with other ukes is difficult. I'll just say I really like the Risa ukes.

Last edited:
I do prefer fluoros as well. I found Fremont Blacklines and Martin M600s to be very similar, but the Martins are punchier, the Fremonts have more "ping"--the best I can describe. Worth BMs are very nice, but I found the A string to not be very strong in volume. LoPrinzis I played very briefly but were very balanced, good for strumming over picking. Living Waters are so far my favorite on my concert uke, I haven't tried them on a soprano. I have them strung with a low G Fremont Soloist string, and they sound good together, rather tenor-y, but I am not sure how LWs would sound on a soprano. I like Martins and have them on both of my sopranos because they have a classic soprano sound, at least to my ears, are inexpensive and easily found. That's why I made that suggestion earlier in the thread.

That said, the OP was asking a different question from your own, so folks making comparisons were doing so considering strings that the OP already tried. Perhaps if you want more answers to your question, you can start a new post?

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of info I was looking for. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

I think my question was a valid follow-on to the OP. I understood the OP to be asking an open-ended question regarding what strings folks recommend for a soprano Flea ... and then shared what strings they'd tried and were considering, and asked additionally for thoughts on the latter. I too have a soprano Flea and am interested in the responses to the first question.

I noticed that a majority of the responses were recommending one fluorocarbon brand or another - I was one of those. I was adding to the original query. Given that most folks seem to prefer the fluorocarbons, I wondered whether anyone had tried more than one brand and could offer comparisons. I already know I like the Martins ... and they're inexpensive and easy to obtain. Here in the US, many of the other brands cost significantly more ... and I wondered whether folks who'd tried multiple kinds thought they were superior, and if so by how much, and whether they think the quality difference is worth the price difference.

I think it belongs in this thread. Apologies to the original poster if they think it's a sidetrack - I do hope you'll let me know. I didn't want to be running two threads that seemed to me likely to be quite similar. That said, if others think it belongs elsewhere, I'm happy to start another. I'm still pretty new here ... it's easy to misjudge these things.

UPDATE: I restrung the Flea with D'Addario Titaniums and am very happy so far! Great feel, good projection. The Flea has a much cleaner sound than before. The purple is pretty cool, too. Thanks for all the advice, UUers!

Top Bottom