Strings Strings for Ohana TK 70W

Tiki_Jeff

Reaction score
So the first "decent" Ukulele I have owned is the described Ohana. TK 70W, comes with Aquila "New NyLgut" strings. Too tinny...anyone have advice for warming this Axe up?

It seems like a decent playing instrument for a spruce top with Walnut sides it projects like crazy but loses some Mid-lower tone. The strings are stock and pretty new so maybe I need to give them time to stretch and settle down??? Advice on known "warmer" sounding strings appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oasis Warm, Living Water, Uke Logic Soft

Nylon strings are generally warmer than fluorocarbon. Nylon strings are also generally thicker and softer, which some people like. Some people like the black or brown fluorocarbon strings, but I always use nylon when I want a warmer sound.

Yes, you should let any strings settle in for a few days before deciding to trash them. Also, a tinny sound is often caused by poor technique rather than poor strings.

I have that uke and so far the best I’ve tried are the Living Waters (before that, tried the Aquila stock strings, Fremont Black lines, Martin fluorocarbons, and maybe something else I can’t remember), though I have black nylons purchased which I will try next because I like how they warmed up my Cherry Loprinzi concert. Sometime I’d like to try Worth Browns.

Agree with much already said here! I am a very visual person, so maybe this helps.

WARM----------------------------------------------------------------------BRIGHT
nylon -----titanium nylon----------- aquila------PHD ---- flourocarbon---------

*assuming same thickness
LOW TENSION--------------------------------------------------------------HIGH TENSION
aquila------------PHD---------Nylon--------------Flourocarbon--------------------------

I don't play with nails and I play a lot of different styles. I use my thumb a lot and generally have a fat tone when I play, so flouro is great for me because it balances out. Flouro is loud, articulate, and you will hear all your mistakes for better or worse.

Aquila is very middle of the road and a good place to start. But if you're sure you don't like it that's fine too. They have so many different types it hard to tell. Their sugars are good and I've got their reds on my cheap baritone. see here:

Nylon is good for people who really want to dig in. Gives that traditional Hawaiian sound, and honestly a very forgiving string.

PHD are another kind of inbetweener if you're looking for something in the middle of aquila and flouro. Very nice.

IMO, there is no best string. They are like having filter effects on an electric, all different and all good! You might find you have a fav for how you play, or several favs!

Welcome Tiki_Jeff! Living Waters, PHD's are warmer strings.

Nylon strings are generally warmer than fluorocarbon. Nylon strings are also generally thicker and softer, which some people like. Some people like the black or brown fluorocarbon strings, but I always use nylon when I want a warmer sound.

Yes, you should let any strings settle in for a few days before deciding to trash them. Also, a tinny sound is often caused by poor technique rather than poor strings.
Well after 30 years with Guitar and Fiddle and now maybe 3 months of UKULELE, I can honestly say I have little to NO technique with this fun instrument yet. lol Ok good advice, yes I know my Violin strings take at least 2 weeks of heavy playing to settle down. On stage we stretch the guitar string a note past its tuned frequency and then back it up to proper tuning to get it there faster. I will check out some Nylon brands for sure. The Spruce/Cedar tops on instruments do tend to ring out as they are very frequency responsive. Almost too much, esp on newer. Thanks

How about them? Have you warmed up a brite sounding Uke with 4 of these? Good stuff? You like them?
Yes, sort of, had a set of GHS black nylons on a Ko’olau concert. Changed them to flouro carbon Worth Browns for more volume but didn’t care for the sound of them. Went back to nylon.

(edit for clarity)

Last edited:
Agree with much already said here! I am a very visual person, so maybe this helps.

WARM----------------------------------------------------------------------BRIGHT
nylon -----titanium nylon----------- aquila------PHD ---- flourocarbon---------

*assuming same thickness
LOW TENSION--------------------------------------------------------------HIGH TENSION
aquila------------PHD---------Nylon--------------Flourocarbon--------------------------

I don't play with nails and I play a lot of different styles. I use my thumb a lot and generally have a fat tone when I play, so flouro is great for me because it balances out. Flouro is loud, articulate, and you will hear all your mistakes for better or worse.

Aquila is very middle of the road and a good place to start. But if you're sure you don't like it that's fine too. They have so many different types it hard to tell. Their sugars are good and I've got their reds on my cheap baritone. see here:

Nylon is good for people who really want to dig in. Gives that traditional Hawaiian sound, and honestly a very forgiving string.

PHD are another kind of inbetweener if you're looking for something in the middle of aquila and flouro. Very nice.

IMO, there is no best string. They are like having filter effects on an electric, all different and all good! You might find you have a fav for how you play, or several favs!

WOW Thank you. Appreciate the Video. Visual is always good. This is great. Excellent playing. IZ would be proud.

Top Bottom