Tuning advice PLEASE

KyleStratton

Reaction score
So I just got home from buying my first uke about 4 hours ago. I chose the Kohala KO-S soprano sized uke because of it's affordability. I have already fallen in love with the instrument and I enjoy taking songs from guitar to uke. The only problem i've had has been the E and A strings will not stay in tune for the life of me. I have some gibson tuning knobs from a project guitar that I never finished and i'm wondering if the tuning is due to cheap hardware or just the natural stretching of the strings. Should I replace the tuning knobs to better quality ones or wait it out?

Hello Kyle

Congratulations on your new ukulele. It is usual that strings have to stretch. The amount depends on how long it's been since the ukulele was strung up but in four hurs, it can easily lose half a step. Give it a little more time, like a week. It will stabilize to a degree that you'll only tune once in 15 minutes (if you're trying to be dead on).

So what songs are you playing?

Cheers
Chief

With new strings, plan on a week of constant tuning, especially the higher pitch ones. The suggestion to "tug, tune, retug etc" is a good one. I usually pinch the strings between my thumb and my third finger, pulling the string in an "S" shape. I don't recommend stretching the strings up (away from the face of the instrument) because it puts a lot of stress on the bridge. Make the "S" shaped pinch parallel with the face of the uke. This stretching will help, but it will still take some time for the strings become stable. ENJOY!

Aloha Kyle,
Welcome to the UU and our forums and the ukulele...Congratulations on your new ukulele Kohala...As the others said, Your new strings will go out of tune for a while until the string steches..it's called the
breaking in period...to quicken the process, starting from the top string closest string to your head. Bend the top string from side to side 3 times...do all the same to all the other strings individually...repeat
the process 2 more times....everyday until the strings hold their tune... google Musicteacher2010 and Keonepax for awesome ukulele video tutorials and Dr Uke for songs, chords, and instruction..Happy strummings
MM Stan..

Top Bottom