Uke Display

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
Do you keep your ukes in cases or gig bags or do you display them? I have a sunny, dusty room, so mine are in cases or gig bags.

Last edited:
Mine hang in a sunny, dusty, humid room. Except my gigging uke, it stays in its hard case, not a gigbag.

you can do both!

Two are out and two are in cases. The two that are out aren't displayed so to speak, they are just in the corner leaning up against the wall. They also aren't my good ones.

I have five hangers that my wife allows me on one wall. I rotate the display occasionally with ukes and guitars that are in cases. Lots of humidity, living on an island in the Chesapeake Bay...20220825_102629.jpgMy wife tolerates the amp and stand...

One on a stand by my computer for video sessions. One on a stand near the TV with a music stand and sheet music. The others (that may rotate in) are in their cases.

Mine are always stored in their cases. In the more humid months I might leave one out on top of its case from time to time so I can just grab it when I'm playing it a lot.

Yes, yes, and yes ;-)
The high value, solid wood, luthier made get cases with double humidification ( Oasis-18 in the sound hole/Boveda 49s at the headstock)
Moderate valued ones get stored in quality gig cases (Gator/Kanile'a/Kala)
Consumer valued, generally laminate or ABS, hang or get fabric light weight bags or hang up.
"Value" is in the eye of beholder...in this case, beholder being 'me'...

Midwest winters + 3 dogs (each over 50 lbs) = always cased.
Why can't they get their own ukes?

I keep most of my instruments in cases all the time except for a couple left out to be available, like the Martin Backpacker Uke below, which by the way is no longer made and is probably one of the saddest sounding instruments Martin ever made but my wife found it in a second hand store years ago and it is strange enough to keep a place in the home. Tone is like a transistor radio.

BackPacker_Uke.jpg

Why can't they get their own ukes?

I keep most of my instruments in cases all the time except for a couple left out to be available, like the Martin Backpacker Uke below, which by the way is no longer made and is probably one of the saddest sounding instruments Martin ever made but my wife found it in a second hand store years ago and it is strange enough to keep a place in the home. Tone is like a transistor radio.

View attachment 144713
I had a Martin backpacker guitar that was also very sorry sounding! It was impossible to keep in your lap due to the shape...

We have one wall hanger and a “Uke corner” w/ instruments in cases. I keep a solid top/laminate on the wall & it does great!

Mine are all hanging on the wall with homemade hangers from leftover wood from the builds.

The Koaloha is out on display, the Tyde Music tenor stays in its case 😁

Western Oregon is not a particularly arid place, so all of my ukuleles are on wall hangers in my downstairs music room. They share the space with my piano, record collection, plucked psaltery, and a ceiling to floor/wall to wall bookcase. It’s a small room, so things are very cosy, to say the least. I do monitor the humidity, and have a portable humidifier for those rare times when the room humidity starts to head down towards the 40% mark. My celtic harp and hammered dulcimer live in the upstairs music room, along with my desk, more bookshelves (filled with binders and books of music), and my cassette collection. A few years ago, our front entry area became my third music room when I placed my small celtic harp in a little niche next to the coat closet - because the space was empty and why not? We rarely use the front door, so I’m doing my part to make sure the front entry way doesn’t become a wasted space. Now that I’m retired, I don’t have the money to acquire any more instruments - which is just as well, as I‘m running out of rooms to house them in. :)

Last edited:
All my ukes are on wall hangers for easy access. The ukes definitely get more playing time hanging vs being stored inside their cases.

I keep my "music" room at at least 50% humidity and have them hanging on the wall. Let's me choose whichever one I want at anytime.

Last edited:
Your picture gives me an uneasy feeling. I worry that I (or friends) might accidentally sit on them. Then, I'd wonder if the splinters in my butt is more painful or the broken ukes.

To be fair: There are only two ukes and two butts on that couch at the present... the predator/prey ratio is sustainable.

This was one of those rare days when everything was out in the wild. That Kala is usually at school... the BWA and the Pono tenor are next to me now and I just finished playing both. The Pono tenor has those baby-baritone strings on, so the Pono baritone is in the case. Not needed right now...

The Fluke is also in a case and over in the corner... errr ... unless I forgot to take it out of my trunk from my last LA trip...

Good to have a uke like that...

Top Bottom