Uke Hunts Is a Fictional Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timcore

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have recently recorded an album of 14 original ukulele songs under the amusing name of Uke Hunts. They are hopefully funny (they're meant to be) and hopefully not as badly sung as some other people's songs (debatable).
Anyway, the album is on Spotify and you can stream it for free. Please have a listen and let me know what you think.
Cheers.

Oh, here's the link:
https://play.spotify.com/artist/6CPIL0xBLYfN32cE2b44JK

What you are portraying as an "amusing" name is actually pretty offensive.

If you're the kind of person who is offended by words which bear no malice, then yes it is.

I certainly find the play on words offensive and unnecessary, as I suspect would many others.

No, I didn't bother following the link.

As an aside, attempted to report the post, got stuck on the random question "what is this forum about" none of my answers satisfied the request so gave up.:confused:

I'd reconsider the name simply because a long-established and well-respected ukulele site has a very similar name (with a very similar play-on-words rationale behind it). As the site's author clarified in his About page:

Did you know ‘Uke Hunt’ sounds rude if you say it out loud?

Thinking of the name was the main reason I started the site.

I don't personally find it offensive, but then I've been accused of having the sense of humor of a 12-year-old boy, so - go figure :)

(Oh, and - I'm female. I try to only let words hurt me when they are used directly at me, which I don't sense to be the case here.)

The play on words is just teenage humour - I'm long past worrying about such things - but it does show the mindset of the person who chose it. :rolleyes:

(&, no, I haven't bothered to look either.)

As long as all genders can be equally referred to and equally demeaned by any slur, as in the current cases for other gender specific and gay specific slurs, it's less offensive to me because it's not used divisively. Sort of like calling everyone dude, which I do and think is hysterical, but I grew up in California.

I have the bad habit of regularly calling my phone all sorts of horrendous names. Because it's so effin stupid for a supposedly flagship "smart"phone. But I have yet to accuse it of hunting ukes.

Thanks to all who went and had a listen and thanks to those who get that the name is a play on words, albeit a slightly rude and juvenile one.
Those who entered the thread purely to say they found it offensive and that they absolutely wouldn't be listening though...have you nothing better to do?

I wear my limited edition Uke Hunt shirt proudly. Funny note I was wearing it when I flipped my car in October. The EMT asked me if I could take it off because if not they were going to cut it off.

Names taken as someone already pointed out, kinda like calling yourself "ukulele underground". Otherwise dont let the SJW movement get you down. Imagine reporting this to a moderator how sad.

~peace~

Thanks to all who went and had a listen and thanks to those who get that the name is a play on words, albeit a slightly rude and juvenile one.
Those who entered the thread purely to say they found it offensive and that they absolutely wouldn't be listening though...have you nothing better to do?

- So apparently it's OK to call anyone saying or reading that "name" a [mod deleted] because it is wordplay?

- In what context is calling someone a [mod deleted] not malicious or offensive? How can anyone try and sell the word [mod deleted] as only "slightly rude" or just "juvenile"? Calling a woman a [mod deleted] is probably one of the worst if not the worst thing you could call her. It's no better calling a man a [mod deleted]. It's emasculating and in both cases it's used as a hateful, demeaning and belittling word. It's not even an appropriate word to describe a certain part of the anatomy.

- Hiding behind the claim that the phrase "you [mod deleted] " is just wordplay is disingenuous at best. How am I misinterpreting the phrase "you [mod deleted] " when directed at me or anyone else as anything but malicious or offensive?

- I think it's also disingenuous to hide behind the claim that it is humorous. So when someone says or reads that "name" they are supposedly going to say to themselves, "Oh he's not calling me a [mod deleted] , he's just using wordplay! How humorous! I can't wait to share this with my children and the women in my life!" It would appear to me that the person most amused by this wordplay is you thinking it's funny that anyone saying or reading that "name" is saying or reading "[mod deleted] ".

- As others have already point out, Uke Hunt is already the (poorly chosen) name of a web site. At least they actually do ukulele reviews there to justify naming it as such though it's still my opinion that it was a poor choice when there are many other inoffensive ways to say the same thing. Since Uke Hunt is already taken, maybe you should consider another name. Perhaps "Phuc Yoo" or "Ura Nasshull"? I'm pretty certain those names aren't taken, they are equally as "humorous" (rolling eyes...) and you can still hide behind the wordplay gambit.

- Why should we think of you as anything other than a troll when you goad those who understandably, if not righteously, take offense at "you [mod deleted] " and choose not to click through on your link? You ask, "Don't you have anything better to do?" Yes, they were doing it when they weren't clicking through to your link or supporting someone who would intentionally call themselves "you [mod deleted] ". Oops, pardon me there, "Uke Hunt"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, mikelz777, but even with an asterisk you've taken things a step further in the wrong direction.

I'm closing this before it gets worse, and it would. What starts off crass and fatuous rarely gets better.

For my part, I don't see the humour in wordplay that alludes to a word that, in the USA particularly, is used by men to demean women. Even when directed by a man at another man the implication that a reference to female anatomy is an insult is demeaning to women.

I'm not closing the thread for bad language, I'm closing it due to the implicit, oblivious sexism.

Don't push your luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom