Week 641 - Going to Katmandalamazoo, Titicacamonga, and Wooloo Wooloo!

Joko

Reaction score
Odd start due to a move to another city... Back to Mandalay!

The very name Mandalay, due to the strangely geographically incorrect poem of the same name by Rudyard Kipling, tends to evoke a romantic notion of the exotic orient in the minds of many. With it's moat-surrounded city-center numerous religious sites, it remains an interesting destination.

It's also fun to say "Mandalay"
Like "Cucamunga" (now Rancho Cucamunga)
Katmandu
Timbouctoo
Sarasota
Walla Walla
Baden-Baden

The theme this week is cities which mention prominently cities that are fun to say.

Also - songs like Route 66 which include long lists of city names. Seems like a lot of artists like to do this.

3 entries. Max
Contest opens in 48 minutes (it's not late)... 12:00 Hawaii time and runs the usual time...

PLaylist coming soon.

Have fun

"Rockin' Me", by the Steve Miller Band, on concert ukulele with singing, overdubs of Ashbory Ubass and secondary vocal. The song contains a list of town names (option 2).

Thanks for hosting, and congratulations on your move, Joko!

Last edited:
Hello, Joko, and thanks for hosting! All the strange place names seem to be in Australia ... I found this one this morning. Although I vaguely knew the title, I'd never heard the song before ... so my apologies to Brian (who, I see, covered it "properly" many moons ago), John and Jon! At least I didn't attempt an Aussie accent ... I was too busy trying to read the words.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20240526-114207_DuckDuckGo.jpg
We played this in our garage band as young teens, along with Louie Louie, Wild Thing, and countless other 3 chord songs. Every garage band played it back then, and garage bands probably still play it today.

Last edited:
One of the cities listed in the original post. Recorded by Paul Whiteman's Orchestra with Billy Murray on vocals, although, like many of Whiteman's arrangements, Murray sings through the chorus only once and the rest of the piece is instrumental. Has two stanzas, but I did only the first and the chorus. P.S. The line "raisin' hogs and shoats." A shoat is a young pig that has been weaned but is not yet an adult.

I wonder how many people out there will be offended by others thinking their city name sounds funny.

I can think of a big band from way back, that seemed to favor songs with exotic sounding US cities in the titles. They might have gotten some enemies if the inhabitants of those cities thought it was a joke on them 😆.

Hey folks, Borfus and I will be doing our Live Summer Music Series Season Kickoff tonight (7pm west coast USA time). I will be webcasting it on zoom meeting number 622 972 7495 password is "woodstock". We'll be playing some new tunes and previews of our Summer Shows. I hope you can make it!

Mayposter.jpg

Hey folks, Borfus and I will be doing our Live Summer Music Series Season Kickoff tonight (7pm west coast USA time). I will be webcasting it on zoom meeting number 622 972 7495 password is "woodstock". We'll be playing some new tunes and previews of our Summer Shows. I hope you can make it!

View attachment 174373

For anyone in two minds about whether to watch, these gigs are brilliant! I’ll be setting my alarm for 3am here in England (2 hours from now) to attend on Zoom. :)

Ugh I've got a good idea for this one but I've been sick for over a week now and I can't sing. Let's see if I recover in time...
Hope you feel better soon!

Am I allowed to play a three string instrument for this week?

View attachment 174373
This was great fun sir! Thank you for setting up the Zoom meeting…hope you heard me singing along from Cloverdale ;)

There's a quaint little village in Austria, some 30km N of Salzburg that's inspired a few tunes 😇

Edit: I added a playlist

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting Joko. 🙂

I’m not sure I’ve ever ventured so far outside my comfort zone as I have with this one - it was a Tin Pan Alley hit from back in the 1920s, though it’s been extensively covered since then. Nagasaki (the song title) and Fujiyama also mentioned here.

Back in 2008, my husband and I moved to a quaint little town in deep East Texas called Nacogdoches. Always fun to say, it has a silent "g!" A few songs have mentioned the name of this little town, but I found this sweet tune on YouTube. It was written by a local, Tom Baker, and released by him on a 45 in 1977. We never heard this song while we lived there. It was a lot of fun to learn and play!

And I can attest to the fact that "the folks in Nacogdoches will treat you right."

Top Bottom