What's everyone using for strings these days?

strings

I'm in a low-g phase and have a Fremont Polished w/Worth Clears on my main uke, a LoPrinzi cherry concert. It sounds great, but I am going to change out the Clears for Browns. I got a free set of Martin flourocarbons for Teach Appreciation Day and put them on my Ohana concert, but I don't really like the uke so I rarely play it. It's the cutaway w/pickup so I keep it for amplified occasions, but I would like to trade it for a nice soprano.

The really bad GHS strings on my entry level Ohana several years ago scarred me for life - haven't tried them since :)

My current favorites are D'Addario Nyltechs on my reentrant ukes, and a combo of Aquila Nylguts and a guitar D string on my low G - although I'm having trouble finding my guitar D string of choice (Savarez high tension red label) sold as a single, so, if anybody knows a source for these please give me a shout out. My local shop told me Savarez no longer offers them as singles, which is a crying shame.

Living Water strings on my Pono, and Aquila on my Kala. I've used D'Addario J71's on my Pono, and I liked them but the tension was a bit too hard compared to the Living Waters. Both re-entrant.

I've tried virtually every string I can get my hand on. I've settled on Martin 600s on almost all my ukuleles. I like the traditional Martin sound. They just sound great an feel right to me. I also have Orcas on one koa uke and aquillas on my lower end ones.

After all the recommendations on this forum, I finally ordered a set of Southcoast medium linears and got them on yesterday. I really like them, very loud which is what I was going for, but also a really nice tone and feel. (would low g, wound c, clear E and A).

Before that I had on Worth Brown's which were lovely but very mellow. I've tried all sorts of strings on my ukes including Martin600's, Aquila's of different varieties, and a bunch of D'Addorio's. I've never settled on a favorite for my tenor, but I prefer the clear flourocarbons on the Dolphin and my Kala Concert.

I use all sorts - about 5 brands currently. As such I will repeat my usual rant.

String choice is totally personal - depends on your style, your fingers, your ears and your particular uke. What some people like, I don't like - that doesnt make them wrong though.

As such - experiment!

Any thoughts on GHS strings?

I've had a set of GHS strings on my tenor uke, and thought they sounded very nice and warm. Then again, working for GHS, I could be considered a bit biased...!

We're currently working on a line of fluoro strings to offer, in addition to our regular line of uke strings. The concert and baritone sets are fairly well set and sound great, the tenor set we're dialing in the tension at current. Anything specific folks are looking for?

I have read the whole thread and it seems everyone seems to love fishing line as strings.....so my answer is the string everyone seems to be headed for are fishing line....lol,,,,But then again its almost always has been that when talking about ukulele string....From what I understand most all ukulele strinmgs have been reinventd uses for fishing line material....note the various fluorocarbon formulas that are made from what I understand to be three different manufacturers of the process with worth having the most variety of fluorocarbon material line and some haven't even been tried as uke strings yet,,,oh well,,, too much info for my tiny brain ha ha ha

Top Bottom