Twelve different strings on a New Kamaka HF3

hawaii 50

Reaction score
That was a great video. I am not sure which ones were my favorites. I know I like Southcoast on my Kamaka. I was actually surprised that the factory strings did not sound as bad as I remembered them being.

That was a great video. I am not sure which ones were my favorites. I know I like Southcoast on my Kamaka. I was actually surprised that the factory strings did not sound as bad as I remembered them being.

I never thought the factory Kamaka strings sounded bad...they are just hard string on my fingers...

most people do not know they are almost the same string that Jake uses made by DiAdarrio.....but colored black.....
I like Oasis or Southcoast HML-RW with a Fremont Soloist low G

The Southcoast strings definitely sounded good as did all of the others. I've used factory Kamaka strings, have always liked them, but knew I was in the minority. Also have used Fremont Blackline and Aquila and especially liked the Fremont Blackline. Agree that was a great video!

Last edited:
Give it up for Andrew and Corey!!! They are putting out some incredibly useful stuff.

Great video, back to back video's are so helpful. When trying different strings it's so hard to recall the sound, especially if you're trying to remember back weeks or months. They all really sounded good, a testament to Kamaka I'd say.

I was just going to post this video, haha. I found it incredibly helpful. With all the talk on here about string preference, and those who dislike Kamaka strings, this video was ear-opening.

I could hear fuller harmonics on Fremonts, compared to the Kamakas preceding it. But like wickedwahine I thought the Kamakas were pretty good.

I think my favorite of them all were the Worth CL-LGs (low G). I thought they really brought up some nice resonance in the instrument, a bit warmer and less bright. But one thing's for sure, this video certainly shows the range of the Kamaka Tenor.

The playing was beautiful and the editing was sharp. Mahalo HMS!

Top Bottom