Any new Flea colors soon?

NatalieS

Reaction score
I noticed on FMM's site that the "moonlight blue" Flea is no longer listed. This means they don't sell any color blue Fleas anymore! (aside from the camp and denim, which are both fancy designs)

This leads me to think... does FMM have something up their sleeve, and are they planning new Flea colors soon? If they made a turquoise or teal color, I'd be all over it!

hi Natalie

I'm with you there! I think they're due for some new designs aren't they? I'd love to think there'd be some new graphics and/or colours on the horizon...I'm a bit of a 70's throwback I'm afraid, so something brown and orange would be very yummmmmmmy!!!

Yeah I'd like to see them shake things up a bit! I emailed them to ask about new designs. :) I'll let you all know what I find out.

I will film an unboxing vid when it gets here. My camera is all charged up. :)

Aloha Natalie,
Has your new ukuleled arrive today yet??Hmmm and you're lookin' at a moonlight blue flea..my, my...has your UAS
re emerged again.....anyways I like the teal color, reminds me of the cool and beautiful tropical ocean style....
Have Fun girl, and "keep us informed" and will be awaiting your video with the biggest smiles...
"Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan...

This "poi dog" has some Scottish blood too so would like a fluke with clan colors. :D
macfarlane.jpg

Someone mentioned in this post that the Magic Fluke Company is moving soon from Connecticut to western Massachusetts. If that's true, then it's possible that the company won't make any design or color changes (or replace any of the designs or colors it runs out of) until after it's set up in its new home. It's also possible that its new headquarters will be bigger, and it may be able to offer more color and design options after the move. Anyway, if Magic Fluke is actually moving, I'm not sure I'd expect anything new until after it has settled in at its new location.

Wow that's interesting, I didn't know they were moving! If they really do move to a bigger place, I'd love to see more designs from them. Thanks for letting me know :)

I actually called and talked with them. THe blue color, I believe, was made from automotive paint and had that certain car paint glisten. They are not planning to use automotive paint anymore.

Did you know you can buy a blank for either the FLuke or FLea. YOu then can paint it yourself or commission somebody to paint a design using a water based acrylic. You'd then send it back and they will "finish" it and make your own personal uke.

Ima do that.

I actually called and talked with them. THe blue color, I believe, was made from automotive paint and had that certain car paint glisten. They are not planning to use automotive paint anymore.

Did you know you can buy a blank for either the FLuke or FLea. YOu then can paint it yourself or commission somebody to paint a design using a water based acrylic. You'd then send it back and they will "finish" it and make your own personal uke.

Ima do that.

That's interesting about the "automotive paint"...

Yeah I'm familiar with the custom painting option they have. I used it for my Fluke! I sent the blank top to an artist in England who painted it then sent it directly to FMM, then I received the finished project. It's a cool option!

That's interesting about the "automotive paint"...

Yeah I'm familiar with the custom painting option they have. I used it for my Fluke! I sent the blank top to an artist in England who painted it then sent it directly to FMM, then I received the finished project. It's a cool option!

Where you got it? Let's see the pic.

I went through a big Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers phase. I still love them a lot, but I'm not quite as rabid of a fan as I used to be. ;)

An artist who goes by the name "Moogly Moo" agreed to paint the soundboard for me. She did such a wonderful job! I need to take some better pictures of it and submit them to the Fluke Museum, but this is the best I've got... pictured next to the box o' dog toys lol!

flukefull.jpg

That is interesting about the auto and water-based acrylic (otherwise known as Latex when used as house paints). Thanks for the report. I recently painted my lava flea with flat automotive paint. The original matte had became shiny from too much playing and I shined up the whole thing to match, but I was not happy with it.

I didn't do enough surface prep before my last paint job, so I'm gonna do it again, but I am thinking a design this time. Since the fretboard has a few grooves worn in it I am wanting to send it back and get the rosewood fretboard with metal frets. I should call them and see about getting a fresh soundboard sent to paint. Then, they could assemble it all after painting. Its a pain to sand it well and paint it well on the uke. I'm gonna check out the water based acrylics at the craft store today.

Last edited:
When I studied Product Design, we used automotive paint for all of our model building. You can get almost any color, but you should have a spray booth and a good vapor mask. It can give you a great finish, if you do many coats (let dry well between layers) with wet sandpapering in between layers.

–Lori

I received a reply from FMM music just now. Here is what they had to say...

Thank you for your e-mail and your continued enthusiasm!

The Moonlight Blue has been retired for a couple of reasons. The first and maybe most important to us, is working to be as environmentally responsible as we can. The Moonlight metallic paint is not the cleanest and we have been switching to only water-based paint going forward. There is no metallic to date, that is water-based. We o have the blue paint that is the background of the “camp” Flea and can certainly build that up for you or send you the top for your artwork or receive your ready to go artwork here to make you another special design.

As for new colors, we are working on freshening up all of our colors for 2011. There are no promises as we are also moving our business as we need to expand (a wonderful thing) within then next couple of months and I am not certain what the results will be for next year quite yet. All of our current colors are very popular, so we are not sure exactly what to retire and what to update. We have a new model joining the Flukes and Fleas and new Fluke Solid Body in January as well. It is busy in the uke shop so keep checking in as we get closer to the end of the year.

Please let us know if the Camp Blue is of interest, we are painting some up for a customer now and would be happy to make an extra for you if you would like.

Top Bottom