What's the easiest key to improvise?

CasanovaGuy

Reaction score
For me, it's A major. This was the first key I learned how to improv, since there's many popular modern Hawaiian songs in that key.

Why do I want to know this? Just cuz, and also because I think there going to be some interesting answers and I'll be like, lolwut dis person is beast O_O

the easiest key to my improv is a good bottle of red...everything sounds great thereafter
:eek:ld:

There really is no "best" key - it is just what sounds best to you.

At the local ukulele club, we play in many different keys (often at the same time...[ba-Dum!]) and it just gets to a point where noodling around to what is being played just feels good, regardless of key.

So of course, having said that, every time the leader points to me and says "Take one!" I'm almost invariably somewhere other than where I want to be. (g)

But I keep trying, and I'm getting better at it. I haven't memorized scales and modes (not even sure what "modes" are), but I'm usually not too far away from the notes I want to hit, so I'll slide up or down as usual, and take the feline attitude of "Yeah - I meant to do that!".

Except for that time when my fingers literally got tangled in the strings... but that's a different story, and requires beer.

-Kurt​

Kind of along the lines of what's been said. If you hit a note which sounds "wrong":

1. Hit it again. As Larry LeLonde of Primus said: "That way, they think I meant it".
2. Slide up a semitone. The way scales are put together, there's almost always a friendly note a semitone away.

Of course, in the long term, learning theory is the way to go. Most people would suggest keys where all the open strings are "correct". That would be F, C, G & D

GCEA work in all those keys. That way, if you have some sort of episode, and your left hand stops working, you've still got material.

In standard uke tuning I found that D minor was the easiest and best-sounding key to noodle in. With a low G string, G minor is really good, too.

This was the first key I learned how to improv

Well there you go. This question is basically the same as "what key are you most comfortable playing in, due to experience/practice."

For me, I guess it's C and F (and therefore Am and Dm too) on the uke.

I guess if I knew my moveable scale forms better, my answer would be "any key". :) Oh well...

JJ

Top Bottom