The Island of Misfit Seasonistas

Have you ever posted to the Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Since we're putting up older vids, here's Tequila (a spirit I can no longer touch with a ten foot pole) and a little peak behind the curtain at one of the biggest shows I did with Fruitloops. Party! I'm the one in the Flash underpants and pink wig.
Go to 3:50 for the song if you'd like to skip all the random pre-song stuff.

Last edited:
One of your Seasonista friends is going to be on national television playing ukulele!!

Okay, so it won't be until Nov 2nd, but it's been filmed, and the nationwide is going to be the nation of Thailand.

A friend of mine who writes the script for the Thai PBS program 'English Breakfast', an educational program which mixes Thai and English, wrote a script where every Thai school had to have a Native English Speaker as a member of its faculty. 'Bro' and 'Dude' head out to Kao San Road, Bangkok's tourist street, to find a farang (foreigner) teacher. They have no luck. Fortunately, Bro's dad (me), shows up, ukulele in hand, and is drafted into being an English teacher.

Foreigner in Thailand teaching English by a weird set of circumstances, oh yeah, a really hard acting job for me.

That's terrific, Joko. Maybe there's a slot for a late night english speaking talk show uker, a' la Arturo Godfrey!

One of your Seasonista friends is going to be on national television playing ukulele!!

Okay, so it won't be until Nov 2nd, but it's been filmed, and the nationwide is going to be the nation of Thailand.

A friend of mine who writes the script for the Thai PBS program 'English Breakfast', an educational program which mixes Thai and English, wrote a script where every Thai school had to have a Native English Speaker as a member of its faculty. 'Bro' and 'Dude' head out to Kao San Road, Bangkok's tourist street, to find a farang (foreigner) teacher. They have no luck. Fortunately, Bro's dad (me), shows up, ukulele in hand, and is drafted into being an English teacher.

Foreigner in Thailand teaching English by a weird set of circumstances, oh yeah, a really hard acting job for me.

I sang one of Mike Cross' humorous songs for the current season and was compelled to find the lyrics to another one of his I've always liked.

Alan, this was one of several songs I wanted to do for Happy Hour Season, but didn't have time to do. Although I love the Avetts it was the Woven Pines version that made me seek out the chords top try to learn it. Lovely to hear it again!

- FiL

Poor FiL hasn't gotten to do a single song of his own since he teamed up with me. :-(

"That's the Kinda Thing (They Do in Heaven)"

I think this is my first Misfit video.

As some of you know, my Dad passed away at the end of August.

As I was working on his eulogy, this song popped out. At the end of the day after the funeral, the repast, and the cleanup, my family was all gathered at my mom's house sitting around sharing memories about my dad and I played them this song. They all got a kick out of it--it was good medicine on an otherwise very heavy day.

A few weeks ago I played it during a workshop at a little folk festival, and I was (pleasantly) surprised to hear strangers laugh in all the same spots my family did (and to hear people playing and singing along). Fortunately, someone captured the audio and sent it to me. I added some family pictures to turn it into a video.

The song is called "That's the Kinda Thing (They Do in Heaven)". Feel free to sing along.

- FiL

As I was working on his eulogy, this song popped out. At the end of the day after the funeral, the repast, and the cleanup, my family was all gathered at my mom's house sitting around sharing memories about my dad and I played them this song. They all got a kick out of it--it was good medicine on an otherwise very heavy day.

A few weeks ago I played it during a workshop at a little folk festival, and I was (pleasantly) surprised to hear strangers laugh in all the same spots my family did (and to hear people playing and singing along). Fortunately, someone captured the audio and sent it to me. I added some family pictures to turn it into a video.

The song is called "That's the Kinda Thing (They Do in Heaven)". Feel free to sing along.

- FiL

This is great FiL. I love it. Super fun lyrics and a great story to boot! Thanks for sharing it.

Poor FiL hasn't gotten to do a single song of his own since he teamed up with me. :-(

And now he has (yay!). I already loved the song, so glad you are putting it out there. The video just makes it come alive. The specifics might belong to you and your family, but we all have a dad song in us, written or waiting to be. This makes me feel like I know your family, while bringing me closer to mine all at the same time.

- Wendy

- FiL

FiL, I just LOVE this. Good for you for bringing up the stuff your Dad loved about living here when he was with us.
I'd love to see the lyrics if you don't mind. I feel like I missed some of the good stuff because of all the folks laughing along (although that's a good thing).
I'll bet he would have loved this, too.

Welcome from your fellow Misfits!

- FiL

Thank you all for the kind words. Alan, here are the lyrics. I've added them to the video description on YouTube, too.

"That's the Kinda Thing (They Do in Heaven)"

Hey there son, it's your old man
I'm up here in Heaven, gettin' a tan
You wouldn't believe what things are like, around here
I'll give you the scoop, I'll give you the story
Jackie Gleason is here in all his glory
And everyone drinks Schaeffer and Ballentine beer

I don't have to mow, I don't have to weed
The cars that drive by my house don't speed
I got a phone with a dial and a pope for a neighbor
I know how to work my own TV
Bags of pretzels open easily
And obituaries are on page one of every paper

Chorus 1:
‘Cos that's the kinda thing they do in Heaven
That's the kinda thing they do in Heaven
That's what they do behind that pearly gate
They play Polish polkas 24-7
Rock'n'roll amps go to 2 not 11
When your time comes son, don't be late

The Yankees are on every night of the year
No one beats them, no one even comes near
Except for the Angles, up here that's just how it is
They got Babe and Coombs, Gehrig, DiMaggio
Mantle, Maris, Munson, Rizzuto
But they keep ol' George, pretty well hid

(Repeat Chorus 1)

My garden is bountiful, I don't have to fear
About crows or squirrels or rabbits or deer
We have fresh corn on the cob every Christmas
They got bottomless bowls of every kinda pasta
Eight different types of Polish kielbasa
You can eat all you want and no one ever has gas

(Repeat Chorus 1)

Well I hope you've enjoyed this view from above
Now I'll take to my wings like a Heavenly dove
I got a pinochle date with God and his only son
So keep your nose to the grindstone and be good to your friends
‘Cos the thing about Eternity is, it never ends
And if you’re gonna do something forever, it better be fun

Chorus 2:
‘Cos that's the kinda thing they do in Heaven
That's the kinda thing they do in Heaven
That's what they do behind that pearly gate
They play Polish polkas 24-7
Rock'n'roll amps, well for you they’ll hit 11
When your time comes son I know you won't be late

- FiL

Thanks FiL, That is completely great. Even better with all the words!!
If you don't mind, I think I'll try to sing it for my Dad on his 86th Birthday this week.
Would that be okay?

Whew...I am bushed. You guys mind if put my feet up over here for a minute and watch a few?
FiL- What signature model was that old Rawlings glove your dad had in the pictures- pretty sure I have the same one mate. What a tribute to him you made there.

Top Bottom