3 chord songs (C, F, G7)

strictlyukulele

Reaction score
I have just started learning, and a few of my friends also recently took up the ukulele. I've told them to just focus on mastering these 3 chords before moving on to the other chords.

What are some of the relatively easy songs that you can play with these chords? I know a few really easy ones (Happy Birthday, Twinkle Twinkle little star, 3 blind mice) but wondering if others have better ones?

THANKS!

Go with the most classicalest of all classic C, F, G7 songs: Monty Python's Lumberjack Song.

You might also want to throw in the Am in there for good measure, since it's easy to play and is the minor chord in that key...

The Unicorn Song by the Irish Rovers, and Tie Me Kangaroo Down by Rolf Harris are a couple more.

I have just started learning, and a few of my friends also recently took up the ukulele. I've told them to just focus on mastering these 3 chords before moving on to the other chords.

What are some of the relatively easy songs that you can play with these chords? I know a few really easy ones (Happy Birthday, Twinkle Twinkle little star, 3 blind mice) but wondering if others have better ones?

THANKS!

It's not three chords. It is 4 but just as easy IMO:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?8683-C-G-Am-F

This thread was started some time ago and it is filled with C G Am F songs. It is a great resourse and should be stickied:)

Last edited:
I'm recovering from a broken left wrist and I'm doing Physical Therapy (I now have some metal added to my bones). I've been trying some simple songs and can do C, C7, A, Am but F is hard and the Gs are about impossible. Any ideas for anything with those chords I can do? Doesn't even have to be a real "song". Thanks.

A is okay but F is hard? It's amazing what a fraction of an inch can mean sometimes, isn't it?

If those are about all you can manage, you may want to consider just jumbling those up in various lineups and working mainly on strum & fingerpicking techniques. Practice fan strums, chunking, maybe even Formby style. Then do some variations on fingerpicking exercises. Depending on how long it takes for you to heal you may find that by the time your fretting hand is free again, you've got a pretty nice repertoire of strum/pick ability!

You might also want to throw in the Am in there for good measure, since it's easy to play and is the minor chord in that key...

+1 on this - also the Dm. With C, F, G(7), Am, and Dm you can play almost every popular song ever written (albeit in the key of C instead of whatever key it may have been in originally). The Am is a really easy one finger chord, and if you play the Dm by barring the 4th and 3rd strings it's also pretty easy. in fact, you just play an F and then let your second finger flatten a little so it's fretting both the 4th and 3rd strings instead of just the 4th.

With C,G,Am,F you can play "No Woman No Cry". And you can play "Let It Be". And "I'm Yours" was mentioned. You could also play "Soul Sister" that way (instead of in E as the original - it's that same chord progression anyway, just in another key). With those chords you can also just fool around and play them in different combinations, make up a melody/song as you go if you wish.

-Tor

Top Bottom