Can we discuss the specifics of how different materials affect the sound of a ukulele?

BiosphereDecay

Island Punk Rock
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm talking how do specific strings sound? Bright? Warm? Mellow? That sort of thing.

Wood too. How do you specific woods tend to sound. I'm sure every ukulele is a little bit unique, but there's probably specific traits that are found in every ukulele of a specific type of wood. (Also plastic/carbon fiber etc)

I don't know enough to know how much other materials on other parts of the instrument matter, but if you do know enough to know that, please feel free to talk about it.

I wouldn't buy a laminate personally, but I think discussing the merits of laminate versus solid would be on topic.

Don't forget build, bracing, wood thickness, body shape/size, fret board length (over the body), bridge shape/size to name a few others.

If you look up TUS clips on YouTube you can get an idea of the variety of sounds from different builders, woods, and strings. TUS has a nice comparison video where they string multiple Kamaka HF-2 ukes with different strings to see how each set varies in tone, playability, etc.

Don't forget build, bracing, wood thickness, body shape/size, fret board length (over the body), bridge shape/size to name a few others.

If you look up TUS clips on YouTube you can get an idea of the variety of sounds from different builders, woods, and strings.
Hell yeah, that's the kind of detail that I want to learn about.

There's also a TUS video where the fellas play a bunch of similar ukes with different woods with their eyes closed and they guess the woods and IT DOES NOT GO AS PLANNED. I dont have the link, sorry.

I also recommend you check out the audio files on Youtube from ukulele shops. They sometimes play the same songs, recorded in the same place, same mic probably, by the same person, so it's easy to compare, e.g.:

(Cedar and Rosewood)
vs

(Cedar and Mahogany)

I think there's also two videos for Kida rosewood bodies (maybe tenors, I forget) with different tops so you can compare that as well, without changing builds, luthiers, bracing patterns, or any of that stuff.

Even if a given luthier is not to your taste or budget, it can be a good way to learn about what different woods sound like.

Tomes can be (and have been! Many!) written on these exact questions. This is a DEEP study steeped in both tradition and innovation.

@Pissodes is right. Get thee to the Luthier’s Lounge! :D;)

I wouldn't buy a laminate personally, but I think discussing the merits of laminate versus solid would be on topic.
I think you may be doing yourself a disservice, and I’d caution you not to repeat my own mistakes. Not all laminate ‘ukulele are created equal. A few companies are producing some truly fine laminate instruments at very competitive prices.

Even if a given luthier is not to your taste or budget, it can be a good way to learn about what different woods sound like.
To be completely honest I haven't been in a music shop, well technically in about a year, but that doesn't really count. I haven't been to a music shop for my own interests in 15 years or so. I want to try going to all the local shops I can find. I know there's a guitar center, but hopefully there's some mom and pop shops that have more ukuleles and maybe a better quality selection and better maintenance. If I could just sit down and try a wide range of ukuleles made of different materials, that would make me very happy.

Tomes can be (and have been! Many!) written on these exact questions. This is a DEEP study steeped in both tradition and innovation.

@Pissodes is right. Get thee to the Luthier’s Lounge! :D;)

I think you may be doing yourself a disservice, and I’d caution you not to repeat my own mistakes. Not all laminate ‘ukulele are created equal. A few companies are producing some truly fine laminate instruments at very competitive prices.
I wouldn't quite say I'm a luthier yet, but aspiring, so yeah I'll check out the luthier lounge.

I'm surprised to hear such a positive review of laminates. Do you have any specific examples that you think are specially good?

I'm surprised to hear such a positive review of laminates. Do you have any specific examples that you think are specially good?
These are just the first makers of good laminate/composite ‘ukulele to spring to mind:
  • Kiwaya/Famous
  • Baton Rouge
  • Magic Fluke Co
  • Bonanza
  • Antica Ukuleleria
  • Sailor
  • Martin
Seriously, don’t ignore alternative materials without at least adequately informing your decision. I made that mistake for years; looking back, I wish I had been open to exploring all-laminate instruments earlier in my journey. They have a place.

I wouldn't quite say I'm a luthier yet, but aspiring, so yeah I'll check out the luthier lounge.

Kiwaya laminates are really good. See this post from Baz about the Kiwaya KS-5. I have three different Kiwaya Koa laminate ukes (Famous brand).

I also have a Koa top, thermoplastic body, and walnut fretboard tenor fluke I like from the Magic Fluke Company.

If you buy used (e.g., off the UU Marketplace) you can get much more uke for the money.

I second the comments of @bacchettadavid and @SkeeterAB. Per a heads up from a kind UUF friend, I was able to buy a “fixer upper” Famous FU120-P (pineapple soprano) last year for only the cost of CONUS shipping. After replacing the damaged bridge with a Grellier spec one CNC cut by HI luthier Brad Donaldson, and messing with action at 12th fret and at the nut, and adding Fremont strings, I really liked the uke.

Custom painted it “Pineapple SPAM” and gifted it to my fiddle- sawing son for his 30th birthday.

Of course, such opportunities are uncommon but you’ve come to the right place to find such things. In honor of the same UUF friend who gave me the heads- up, I will certainly keep you in mind, my brother, if I happen to learn of a good uke you may be able to pick up for a great price!

I'm talking how do specific strings sound? Bright? Warm? Mellow? That sort of thing.

Wood too. How do you specific woods tend to sound. I'm sure every ukulele is a little bit unique, but there's probably specific traits that are found in every ukulele of a specific type of wood. (Also plastic/carbon fiber etc)

I don't know enough to know how much other materials on other parts of the instrument matter, but if you do know enough to know that, please feel free to talk about it.

Luthier here...if you lived in or around Utah I'd welcome you to come try every uke I produced, that way you can get your hands and ears on some different woods. I'd be happy to answer any wood related questions as well!

Luthier here...if you lived in or around Utah I'd welcome you to come try every uke I produced, that way you can get your hands and ears on some different woods. I'd be happy to answer any wood related questions as well!
Too bad I'm in washington. I'll gladly take you up on that offer; I do have some questions. I appreciate you taking the time to educate me. Thank you!

Both of my wood ukuleles are solid top full mahogany. How would you describe the sound qualities of mahogany? Assuming you answer that question, we can use mahogany as the "default" wood for comparing it to others. I hope this isn't asking too much, but I would just like to know how many types of woods compare to mahogany. The next ukulele I'm eyeing is a solid top acacia lanikai. So if you (understandably) don't have the time to talk about a bunch of woods, I'd appreciate it if you at least answered the question for acacia and mahogany.

I was resistant to the idea of getting a solid wood ukulele because it is so dry where I live. So my collection is mostly laminate with two solid wood ukes. My Kala laminate ziricote tenor is my favorite; it always sounds good to me. I also have Ohana’s top of the line solid koa SK-350 and bottom of the line laminate SK-10 - both sound good. They sound different, but I wouldn’t say that one is objectively better sounding.

Too bad I'm in washington.
You must check out Dusty Strings, if you're near Seattle. Or make the drive, if you're not. It'll be worth it to try their selection... soooo much better than any Guitar Center.

Trading Musician also usually has at least a couple Kamaka ukes hanging above the door to the acoustic section. Do it!!

There are lots of discussions here on UU as well as on various YouTube videos and websites. If you do some searches on tone woods you can spend a lot of time reading and listening. Spend some time on the videos from Southern Ukulele store, World of Ukes, Beansprout, and other makers. Of course, while there are some general characteristics of different woods, a lot also depends on the skill of the builder.

You must check out Dusty Strings, if you're near Seattle. Or make the drive, if you're not. It'll be worth it to try their selection... soooo much better than any Guitar Center.

Trading Musician also usually has at least a couple Kamaka ukes hanging above the door to the acoustic section. Do it!!
I bought the fremont black lines on the primary uke I play from Dusty strings. I ordered it online though. I'm in Bellingham which is a couple hours North of Seattle. I don't have a car though, so going to Seattle is a big adventure.

I bought the fremont black lines on the primary uke I play from Dusty strings. I ordered it online though. I'm in Bellingham which is a couple hours North of Seattle. I don't have a car though, so going to Seattle is a big adventure.
Aha.. I think I might remember that fact from another thread. You might have an easier time crossing the border, up to White Rock.

You might have some luck with Tapestry Music.

Aside from trying ukes in person, get some headphones and listen to plenty of YouTube, as others have mentioned. So much to be learned on YouTube'versity!!

1. Luthier has the biggest impact on sound.
2. Top has a lot more impact on sound than back and sides. Soft stiff wood such as spruce will have a wider sound profile, more denser wood will have a narrower sound profile (mids)
3. Warm bright depends on the luthier. I have warm and bright koa tenors made by different luthiers.
4. Everything has an impact on sound, material for saddle/nut, wood used for bracing, bracing shape/details, choice of tuner, wood neck material. The real question is, does it matter to you and can you tell the difference? A piece of software might be able to tell the difference.. human ears maybe.
5. Laminate wood can sound amazing, Ono and Pepe and others made variations of laminations for the top or entire ukulele. Laminate != cheap, cheap = cheap (be it solid wood or laminate).

Search search search, this topic has been debated to death in ukulele and guitar forums. Also, like dating, you can read about it or you can date different people to see what you find... UAS is real and rewarding even if a bit frivolous.

I like watching the weekly reviews on gotaukulele. I have learned a lot over time from him. He's pretty detailed and he always plays the same songs so you can get an idea of how the different ukes sound compared to others. I have to admit that I've bought a few ukes after watching the reviews.

Top Bottom