cant sing and play at the same time

sipsip

Reaction score
just started playing the uke about a month ago. for some reason, im having trouble singing and playing at the the same time. i get thrown out of sync. is there a technique to this?

It's REALLY hard at first, but it WILL happen.

The best advice I got at that point was to start just strumming one beat per bar (i.e. just the first down stroke) while you sing.
Then, when you're comfy with that, do two (one and three), then go to four (all the down strokes).

Once you can do that, you should be all set.

Aloha Sipsip,
Play songs that you know the rhythm and timing too ...simple ones first....Nursery Rhymes is a good starter..or one or two chord songs..
Google Nursery Rhymes ukulele chords...Good Luck and Happy Strummings...MM Stan..

Don't worry too much about it. Most of us have experienced this at some time or other.
Good advice from Uncle Elvis.
Keep trying with simple songs and it will come.

One of the main music tips no matter what you're doing is to get something going so well on its own that you could do it without much effort. Then you concentrate on the other activity.

Also of general good note is to practice whatever you might be doing at a slow tempo to integrate all parts. Then gradually/steadily accelerate to the performance tempo.

I'm at the same point as you sipsip. I'm a month into my obsession and I have a very hard time singing while strumming. However, it's not the synchronous activities that I have a problem with... it's my singing pitch.

I don't have any background in music theory, so I might use the wrong words here, but in most cases the singing notes of the song (melody?) are complimentary to the chords you are strumming, and not the exact root note. I find myself singing the chord root note instead of the melody note, which sort of works... but isn't the actual song as written.

The only thing that can cure me of this is actually listening to the tune while I play and sing along. But if I try to do it without the background accompanyment, I have difficulty. I'm sure that practice will make it all work out in the end.

Not a big thing, B.B. King says he can't play and sing at the same time, he has done pretty good for a few years too.
I think it is mainly a thing of practice. If you are thinking about chords, chord shapes, strumming, melody and lyrics you are on overload.
Multi-tasking can be a good thing, but it can be difficult. As the others have said practice. When learning a new song start with chord progression, get it under your fingers and in your ears. Then hum the melody and work on your timing and strum. When you have chords and strumming on auto-pilot try adding the lyrics.
For me I need to play a song at least 150 times before I am close to learning it. I also believe it is easier to play a song when you don't need to read it from the sheet.

The ability to sing and play at the same time eluded me for YEARS. I just could not do it. I even gave up trying, I thought it was just going to be impossible for me. Then one day it just CLICKED! Now it's not too tough but requires practice. There are still some Hawaiian songs that I know well that have complex strums that I cannot do the complex strum and sing at the same time. I either need to use a simple strum and sing, or play the complex strum and not sing. It is TOUGH!
Follow Uncle Elvis' advice. Do not give up. If I can learn to do it with no method you can learn it using his method.

Good luck!

Top Bottom