Does a uke 'kit' represent value for money?

ChaosToo

Reaction score
Sorry if this post offends the luthiers (it certainly isn't my intention to do so)......

Normally when you buy something that you have to build yourself, it represents a significant saving over a similar quality 'ready made' product - but I have absolutely no idea if the same is true with the ukulele.

I have the inclination, but not the skills, to build my own uke from scratch - so I thought the 'middle ground' would be a kit (if it's of any consequence, I have built model kits from a very early age, have lots of patience and have built museum quality models in my time).

So - I have had my eye on this soprano kit (although they also do a tenor) :

http://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/kits/acoustic-instrument-kits/ukulele-kit-soprano.html

Given that it would take an investment in terms of tools and finishing materials, would the finished article be worthy of the outlay?

Notwithstanding the whole 'enjoyment' side of things, I still would like to know if these kits represent value for money......

Or whether I'd be better served just carrying on 'tinkering' with my cheapo ukes whilst I save for that one 'decent' instrument.....

Many thanks in advance for any and all input :D

Given that it's solid wood, and most everything you are going to need appears to be included, then it's not a bad kit. Of course there is tooling and what nots, but certainly the most challenging parts for a new builder have been taken care of.

You could certainly do worse, and as it's local to you probably the best value for money you're going to get.

Look at it this way.........If you give a pro uke luthier this kit, they will no how to optimize the wood and construction because they have experience and know what to do. If you give an the ordinary Joe this kit, you will probably get a uke that sounds like a kit. I am not saying it will be bad, but it won't be great either. Its the old saying, you get what you pay for.

I'm guessing that for most of us Ordinary Joes, the satisfaction of playing something you have built yourself - even if it may not be Luthier quality - will outweigh the truths that BBU outlines above.

It would appear that you end up with a solid wood uke at the usual price for a laminate. So, if you don't count the hours you put into the build, and you enjoy the challenge, then it's a winner, isn't it?

If you want to build a uke a kit is a good starting point.

I've never hear anything good or bad about this kit but the Stewart MacDonald kit gets great reviews. They seem to ship to the UK, I have heard of people in the UK building them. So you might try to find people in the UK who have built either or both kits.

Last edited:
I doubt they are a big savings value to a comparable instrument. I had an import banjo uke ordered that I really didn't like the features on. After it was backordered twice I built my own banjo uke using a rim I built, some parts of a Mainland component kit and a CNC made neck, and fret board. After ordering peghead and heel overlays, upgraded hardware, inlay, glues and finishing material I had a lot more in mine than an average import banjo uke. That said I prefer it because I built it and it sounds and looks great.

If your primary reason for building a kit is to save money over buying a similar solid wood instrument I would say buy an instrument from a good builder. If, on the other hand, you are interested in building your own instrument for the satisfaction and enjoyment of the process itself, I would say go for it.

I'm no luthier, just an average joe who built a guitar from a Martin kit years ago. I learned alot about how an instrument is put together and why its built the way it is. The guitar I built came out great for a first build. I tell you what, building an instrument will give you a whole new appreciation for the skills that good builders have, particularly when it comes to cosmetic details.

The costs of building a kit add up. Remember you will want to buy a few good books at least, as well as some tools. It will also take a good bit of time if you want to do it right.

The payoff from building a kit is huge, but it doesn't come in the form of cash saved.

This is the same brand as the Stewmac kit. John Coulter of ukulelecosmos forum has made loads of these

Cheers for that Pete - I've registered with that forum, but can't find any specific references to the kit or John Coulter on there...... any links?

I've assembled more than 90% of a soprano kit from StewMac for a friend. The side has some serious runout so the curve was bent quite unevenly. I left the side as it was but made some adjustment to the thickness and bracing of the soundboard. It ended up being a nice sounding ugly soprano. The workmanship of this kit was low but probably good enough for someone who isn't able to build from scratch.

If your primary reason for building a kit is to save money over buying a similar solid wood instrument I would say buy an instrument from a good builder. If, on the other hand, you are interested in building your own instrument for the satisfaction and enjoyment of the process itself, I would say go for it.

Very well said. Kits are a great way to learn, if they had these when I built my first guitar 18 years ago (maybe they did I just didn't know) I would have been all over one. Would have saved a lot of trial and error but that's a great way to learn too.

If on the other hand you want to save money on a nice solid wood instrument this will not do it.

I have to say I'm actually loving learning about building from reading the numerous threads, blogs and articles and although I'll never be able to afford (or justify) the costs of the 'right' tools, I reckon I can 'get by' with most of what I already own, plus a few bits I can borrow of tradesmen within the family.

I have set my ambitions below that of a kit for now, as I learn first how to setup my ukes properly to my own liking (which was a huge learning curve in itself, as I've never played a stringed instrument before).

Being comfortable with that, I have now stripped down my soprano uke and will be re-finishing it (re-veneering the sides and back, re-facing the headstock and adding a basic inlay) and adding a new bridge and saddle (to learn about saddle placement) and then obviously learning the art of the final finish (Tru-Oil seems favourite for what I'm after).

I reckon this will give me a nice intro into a few aspects before I take the plunge and buy a kit - although I'm already wondering how much I can deviate off the 'standard' kit ......

All the input is much appreciated and I'll be keeping track of the numerous artciles on here and elsewhere as I keep trying to learn before I finally take the plunge!

:D

I too agree that if you are doing it to save money then don't - you'll get a substandard product and end up buying something anyway.

OTOH - I built a mandolin and several guitars from kits last year. It was loads of fun and I learned a lot from the experience. They are "playable" but I wouldn't call them "nice" and if I got serious about the mandolin I will purchase one.

So, IMHO: to save money...no, to have fun and learn about what luthiers do...YES!!!!

Knowing far more about ukes than I did when I first posted this, I reckon the cost of the kit will be comparable to a laminate - so on that front, it does represent 'value'. But I reckon the enjoyment of putting together my own uke will be priceless! I also know that I have enough 'attention to detail' to make sure that my own uke won't suffer from the potential problems of the cheaper 'factory' ukes and will be setup exactly how I want it - so that in itself is 'worth it'.

But there'll be a lot more studying done before I finally get to actually 'doing'......every day is a school day......

Well, to your original question of the "value" I would answer no. Even a laminate will be finished and set up better than a first build by an inexperienced luthier. Most likely you will spend money on the kit and tools and time building it and then end up buying a uke later so factoring in only costs that uke you buy will be more expensive.

That said, the "fun" factor of building the kit was off the charts for me, I really enjoyed the entire process. If I end up building more I have a wee bit of experience - mostly in what not to do.....lol.

My next project will be to re-fret one of the guitars as the neck was "dreadfully awful" (this is a family friendly forum). I have a luthier friend that I will enlist (read: bribe with some type of adult beverage) to help, it will probably cost $100 (without factoring in the beverage part) and more time. With the cost of the kit (Saga LP) - $150, and the re-fret - $100 I could have bought a nice Epiphone LP for right around $250 and it would have a better nut and set-up and finish.

If you're looking for the experience then get one of the inexpensive kits - StewMac and Grizzly have them - and go for it. You won't be out much money and you will have a playable instrument, heck you may end up with something very nice if you pay attention to detail and don't rush. You will need a few basic tools and supplies but other than that the kits come ready to go. Pay close attention to tone bars/bracing and the nut and you'll end up with a nice little uke that you made.

If you are looking for "value" again I would recommend buying one. For around the $300 (I know you're in the UK, I just used $ for example) you'll end up spending (estimated cost of kit, tools, supplies, and the cost of a comparable laminate uke you'll end up buying) you could buy a nice solid wood from one of the vendors here at UU.

Last edited:
I took a uke building class with Rick Turner. Best money I've ever spent on a uke. The finished product isn't all that pretty because finish is a b*tch but the sound I'll put up against anything within $300.00 of what I spent for the class. The invaluable part is what I learned about bracing, resonance, scale length, tone woods, fretting, saddles, nuts, etc. etc. I have a solid spruce top Kala that if I handed to you blindfolded you would think it was a custom because after the class I went over every aspect that I could and kind of "detailed" or "blueprinted" it out. The two most noticeable differences were in the set up and the frets. I took my knowledge from the course and set up the nut and saddle exactly how I wanted it and then did my own fret job. It still sounds like a Kala but it feels and plays like a much more expensive uke.

I think with a kit the learning will be up to you, but in assembling the kit you will learn a great deal of useful information and acquire some very useful skills.

I took a uke building class with Rick Turner. Best money I've ever spent on a uke. The finished product isn't all that pretty because finish is a b*tch but the sound I'll put up against anything within $300.00 of what I spent for the class. The invaluable part is what I learned about bracing, resonance, scale length, tone woods, fretting, saddles, nuts, etc. etc. I have a solid spruce top Kala that if I handed to you blindfolded you would think it was a custom because after the class I went over every aspect that I could and kind of "detailed" or "blueprinted" it out. The two most noticeable differences were in the set up and the frets. I took my knowledge from the course and set up the nut and saddle exactly how I wanted it and then did my own fret job. It still sounds like a Kala but it feels and plays like a much more expensive uke.

I think with a kit the learning will be up to you, but in assembling the kit you will learn a great deal of useful information and acquire some very useful skills.

Well said, Gary! I built a mandolin from a kit a couple of years ago. It isn't terribly pretty, nor does it sound all that nice, but the insight I got into the steps of construction of a musical instrument was invaluable. I'll never be a builder, I just don't have that gene, but at least I understand the complexity of some the steps that going into creating an instrument. The next time somebody asks the question, "Why do high-end ukes cost so much?", my suggestion will be: try buidling one yourself. Once you understand how many steps and how much skill goes into creating a quality musical instrument, you'll realize what bargains to good ones really are.

Well said, Gary! I built a mandolin from a kit a couple of years ago. It isn't terribly pretty, nor does it sound all that nice, but the insight I got into the steps of construction of a musical instrument was invaluable. I'll never be a builder, I just don't have that gene, but at least I understand the complexity of some the steps that going into creating an instrument. The next time somebody asks the question, "Why do high-end ukes cost so much?", my suggestion will be: try buidling one yourself. Once you understand how many steps and how much skill goes into creating a quality musical instrument, you'll realize what bargains to good ones really are.

As far as musical instruments go, many of the "Big boy" builders are underpriced IMO. And yes, the amount of knowledge that goes into building a quality instrument is staggering.

Top Bottom